Anyone know about this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankielee

Aug 12, 2016
Appalachia
A local dealer to me who runs ads on C'sList has a stove which looks like it'd fit my needs....I have a small (850 sq.ft.) that I heat with an old Buckeye. The Buckeye will keep the place warm enough, it's just not airtight in the least and a max burn of 4 hours is a good night. I'm in Appalachia so it's an easy area to heat relatively speaking. Money's tight and winter's coming, and I'd like to bump up in efficiency without spending an arm and a leg, as again, I don't need that much, and I'd rather burn a fire clean and hot than shut a large stove down half the time. I also really enjoy staring at a fire all Cro-Magnon like, so glass is important to me.

This C-list guy is offering a stove with a very large viewing area that he states in the ad will heat 885 sq. ft., but on the phone he says it will do 1200 easily. His shop is a 1 1/2 hour drive from me, so it's not something I'll just hop in my Dodge Hemi Guzzler to go view on a lark. I spoke with the gal that works the showroom, hoping to find make and model number so as to research what other people have to say on this stove, but all she would tell me is that it heats great. That's nice. I appreciate her enthusiasm, but would like a bit more info for $700. I couldn't get it across that I'd simply like to know who builds this thing, so as to do my own due diligence. She responded that the owner has them made for him, a claim I find dubious at best.

The ad simply says:

~Steel stove
~High efficiency
~ Includes ash pan
~ Has Large glass
~885 sq ft

It includes a picture that I've attached. However, I'm a noob here and am not quite sure how j-pegs post or show up.

My question is....does anyone know anything about this stove, thumbs up or down? If not, can anyone lean me towards a known entity stove that fits the criteria I outlined above?

Thanks in advance, Frankielee

Attachments

• Steel stove.jpg
    Steel stove.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 181
Yeah I would be leery of the thing too. Seeing as The Hot Spot doesn't even advertise them on its website. It sure doesn't look like one I have seen before. They are probably made by somebody that speaks fluent Chinese.

Yeah I would be leery of the thing too. Seeing as The Hot Spot doesn't even advertise them on its website. It sure doesn't look like one I have seen before. They are probably made by somebody that speaks fluent Chinese.

Thanks for the reply BrotherBart.....I'm sure you're right. Odds are this stove was made in Mongolia using only the finest pig iron. It might possibly be able to heat itself....not sure about warming a house though. Thanks.

Get a 17 VL or the NC13 from Englander Stove- now neither of these are going to heat for 8 hours - not possible in fire boxes under 2 cf. Made in the US in your quadrant of the country. Englander has an excellent reputation and responsive customer service. Right now in my area the 13 is listed at $5xx.00 at Home Depot. It would be a perfect match for your place

Get a 17 VL or the NC13 from Englander Stove- now neither of these are going to heat for 8 hours - not possible in fire boxes under 2 cf. Made in the US in your quadrant of the country. Englander has an excellent reputation and responsive customer service. Right now in my area the 13 is listed at $5xx.00 at Home Depot. It would be a perfect match for your place

Hey blades, thanks for the response. I'm familiar with those units and you're right....probably the best bang for minor bucks around, and if I remember correctly they're made in VA, which is where I sit. I'd feel better buying American, not only to support US labor which is hurting big time, but especially because I can't for the life of me justify shipping these extremely heavy units all the way across the planet while the earth moans.

Thanks again, Frankielee

Status
Not open for further replies.