Anyone rebuilt a pressure washer pump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
My father in law was giving away a Troy-Built power washer with a perfectly working B&S engine but he says the pump is blown.

Is it worth it to take the pump apart and have a looksee' around? Or are non-working pumps a total write-off every time.

This is all the info I have on this cell phone pic. I don't have it in my possession yet.

FB_IMG_1458572033431.jpg

I got a free Karcher pressure washer a couple years back. By far the most common problem is the unloader valve. Fortunately there are some good online guides for repair. I was able to clean and lube the unloader valve only and get it back up and running. Unfortunately sitting idle is hard on these pumps. There are white metal parts that pit and corrode.

Reactions: mwhitnee
I replaced the pump on mine a year ago, cost about $60, not a bad price to save a $300+ machine.
Supposedly they get "stuck" as mentioned above, and it's often easy to just take them apart and free up the internals. I was just impatient so I dint try, old pump is still in garage though incase I get ambitious someday.

Blown or frozen & split?

Yes, I had a friend who loaned his to another guy, and he left it outside with water in the pump and it froze.

I got a free Karcher pressure washer a couple years back. By far the most common problem is the unloader valve. Fortunately there are some good online guides for repair. I was able to clean and lube the unloader valve only and get it back up and running. Unfortunately sitting idle is hard on these pumps. There are white metal parts that pit and corrode.

Thanks begreen I have this exact pressure washer. I've had it for a while and I have intermittently had this problem! It's a good machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.