Anyone run a rear vented Jotul F3CB?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My neighbors and I are debating the various safety/design/clearance issues associated with running a horizontal stovepipe through his fireplace. We are not challenging code, merely discussing the code and what it is protecting. We are making assumptions about the temperature range the horizontal stovepipe will experience. Various online resources suggest newer stoves have cooler exhaust gases due to increased efficiencies, secondary burn chambers, etc.

Is anybody running a stovepipe thermometer on their F3CB (or a stove they consider equivelant?)?

Thanks!

I know where you are going and true some stoves run cooler. Universal code set single wall pipe clearance to combustiables at 18"
These clearances can be reduced if tested and certified. Example, a power vent forces the exhaust threw the pipe faster. The pipe does not heat up as much. If the power venter specs tested and certified that only 9" are required then the reduction from 18" is allowed. Since there are industry alternatives that allow reductions, such as double wall connector pipe. No manufacture is willing to have their product tested to reduce single wall clearances. Testing, writing specs, engineering, and certification cost a lot of money, so why do it if an alternative already exist? There also is code governing clearance to combustiables by the the surface temp of combustiables, in relationship of the ambient temperature. Meaning up to 90 degree rise is ok., I do not know how one can prove this to an inspector. He is not there monitoring all possible variables at all times and for how long would he have to observe it

I normally keep my thermometer on the stove, Jotul F3, but tried it on the single wall connector pipe just to see the temp. The single wall connector pipe was 100 degrees cooler than the stove top. I think at the time the stove was up to 500 degrees.

Thanks Nokoni. I will pass this along to my neighbors. One has an older stove but we were trying to keep the discussion limited to newer EPA stoves.

I do see some double-wall "DSP - DOUBLE WALL STOVE PIPE" from Supervent that reduces the clearances from 18" to 6". That would sure help me. I wonder how good this actually reduces the temps observable on the stovepipe?

When I measured the temps. The stove was 100 degrees hotter than the single wall pipe and the single wall pipe was 100 hotter than the double wall pipe. I wouldn't say this is an exact measurement because I only did it once but that is what I found. I reduced my clearance to the back wall by using double wall pipe.

Hmmm, how do you have both single and doublewall pipe?

The double wall pipe runs out the back of the stove and connects to a single wall t connector that connects to the flexible chimney. The connection of the double wall/single wall t connector is right at my wall seam. The wall is non-combustible.

Status
Not open for further replies.