Anyone successfully rebuild an eco fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm_in_NH

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2013
central NH or N.E. CT.
I have a caframo eco fan, and it's slowed down considerably over the years. Long and short, I find it more of a novelty than an efficient air mover, but we enjoy seeing it spinning away on top of the stove.
I'm not sure if it's the motor of the thermoelectric heat sink that's the problem, so I was thinking of just replacing both parts. Knowing nothing of Thermoelectric heat sinks, other than the fact that they border on some Harry Potter type of magic, I thought I'd throw it out there (here) for any input on the subject.
I'm looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A3FP5NUT29CSSD
IF this is the right part, would I put the "cold" side up and the "hot" side down? Heat coming into the hot side, leaving through the cold?
I did run 9v through the motor earlier and it seemed to spin well, but debating replacing that as well, looks like I can replace both the thermoelectric thing and the motor for about $30, seems worth a shot unless someone has a better direction to go in?

Is it possible the bearings are dragging and need lubrication or replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.