Anyone tell me what this is? Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 9, 2014
Pac NW
Splits easy on the splitter. Lots of fragrant sap. It was dropped off by a local tree service yesterday.

PXL_20210717_203009036.jpg PXL_20210715_232548722.jpg PXL_20210715_232519397.jpg PXL_20210715_232431543.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like balsam fir to me. It has the relatively smooth bark with bubbles of pitch under it.

Could be something else in the Pacific NW, though. I don't know all the evergreens you have there.

Based on the definition of those rings I would say some kind of pine ?????

Looks like balsam fir to me. It has the relatively smooth bark with bubbles of pitch under it.

Could be something else in the Pacific NW, though. I don't know all the evergreens you have there.
I think you nailed it dude!!! Not sure how much heat it will put off but free and delivered is hard to pass up!!! Thank you!!!

My hunch is balsam fir. And then I saw someone above said that too. I am also an east of the Mississippi resident.

My hunch is balsam fir. And then I saw someone above said that too. I am also an east of the Mississippi resident.
Yeah you all are good. I realize it's way down on BTU so I'm not sure what to do with it. Campfire wood probably. I hate for it to take up space in my woodshed but it was free and dropped off so I shouldn't complain too much. Ha

Isn't that alder? And you are in the Pacific NW. There are far fewer tree species in the western US than the Eastern US. If it is a hardwood in the PNW, and is west of the Cascade Mountains it is usually alder of Big Leaf Maple.

Well I thought that initially as well but it's way too sappy to be alder (at least from what I recall having split about 5 cords of alder about 15 years back). This came from a customer who hired the tree company to take down the tree in their yard so it was intentionally planted at some point. It's a soft wood for sure at least compared to the pear I'm splitting now. Very sappy and very fragrant sap.

I wouldn't put pine in my woodshed, but then, I have access to white oak and black walnut and ash.