Anyone use a micro chainsaw mill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
HUH, I brought a chain breaker re spinner from a company that also sold those chain saw operated mini mills...they looked pretty neat, made for pioneers type people up in Alaska. I think the company name was Granberg.

Kirk there's never any dishonor is buying a tool, a tool will last forever and like my daddy said ... 'with the right tool you can do any job'. The thing is his was being sarcastic and referencing some guy fleecing a girl for her money...but he did careen into a truth of sorts.

Look cherry isn't like some rare platinum metal...buy a new chain and rip into that cherry...so what if you have to sand it down. A new chain, used to cut slowly while at full speed can do remarkable things with wood.

It's a fairy large tree and I know my 026 won't be able to rip it. I do know a guy who should have a saw large enough to handle it though.

I like the idea of having something around for those one-off jobs that my little saw can handle too.

Has anyone used this particular mill?

If you don't get a response over here, try arboristsite - they do have several people over there that have tried many different mills.

Gooserider

Kirk22 said:
It's a fairy large tree and I know my 026 won't be able to rip it. I do know a guy who should have a saw large enough to handle it though.

I like the idea of having something around for those one-off jobs that my little saw can handle too.

Has anyone used this particular mill?

I have one of those Granberg Mini Mills and I am using it to make 6x6 cants for the woodshed I'm building. I use a Stihl 075 (110cc saw) and Woodsman Pro Ripping chain from Baileys. The thing works great but I wouldn't rip with anything smaller the 90cc and I'm ripping softwoods, hard woods would kill any other chain saw.

Don't think it's too much cheaper than paying someone to mill it for you with a band mill. Once you invest in a huge saw your savings basically went out the window. It sure if fun and rewarding though to make your own lumber. Did I mention it's a lot of work too?

Status
Not open for further replies.