Anyone used this stove pipe thermometer/alarm yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I set up using the
Auberins SYL-1512A2 PID, my readings have been about the same. STT425-550F and Flu at 500-950F. I have the SST set to turn the fan ON at 400F / OFF at 350F. I seem to have gotten a better burn rate using the PID's. Better control.​
IMG_1788.JPG

I must disagree with last post. I strictly monitor my flue pipe temp more than the hotter flue gas.
This is an older thread but since you brought it up, the idea of monitoring the flue gas is that pipe is made to handle a certain temperature. I've personally watched my probe skyrocket an extra 600 deg in a matter of 15 seconds. That is exactly what you want an alarm for in the flue gases. When your stove goes into overdrive, most people remain blissfully unaware of the extreme danger because a surface thermometer on a stove or a double wall pipe may take many minutes to react. A digital probe in the flue gas is instant.
Gas temp fluctuates too much
That's exactly the point. If your flue temps go over 1500, you had better react fast or your pipe and chimney are in danger.
These are the specs for my double wall Ultra Black:
Max Continuous 650°C (1200°F)
Brief Forced Firing 925°C (1700°F)
Tested To 1150°C (2100°F)
We've had this discussion before and I will bet the farm that there are a lot of people who have had their stove pipe well into the danger zone and had no clue how hot it was. It wasn't until I installed my Auber unit that I began to understand the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.