Anyone using an electric chain saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A few days ago I bought a Greenworks 60v chainsaw. Haven't used it yet, it's pouring outside now, My Husqvarna gas chainsaw is always hard to start, especially after trying to start it after it's been run for a while. I'll see if carburetor cleaner helps, or other adjustments, but the Greenworks was on sale for half price. I do wonder why such a discount. I hope the 60v line isn't being discontinued.

Most of my cuts though are just a few in the yard to get them to the stove length before splitting, or at a neighbor's to get logs to fit (and being able to lift) into the truck. Glad I have the gas saw for larger rounds, but it'll be nice (I hope) just pressing a release and trigger and having the saw run. Time will tell.

What was surprising is the charger - when plugging it in it sounds like a network server starting up. Then the fan continues to run.
I saw that deal at TSC. I have that saw but with 4aH battery. It works well for anything that you don't intend to split, which is a lot of limbing, kindling tasks. You can't really lean into it like a gas saw or it will stop. There is a mod to relocate the temperature sensor, as it is in a very conservative location. I have not done it, but plan to.
Pay close attention to chain tension because if too tight it will not start. It likes a looser chain.
The balance is not great (long body), but the point of these saws isn't to cut all day, so not really an issue.
It is really great for clean up, start/stop type jobs because you aren't pulling a cord 20 times, just squeeze the trigger.

Reactions: j7art2
I almost pulled the trigger on this exact saw -- my guess is you got it at Tractor Supply. I saw a similar deal at least and almost went after it.

Youtube video side by side speed tests shows it's a fast cutting saw, one of the faster cordless electrics on the market. Likely the reason for cheap (and ultimately why I didn't get the saw) is because if there's a warranty issue, Greenworks support, similarly to Ego, is virtually non-existant. They claim a good warranty, but getting them to deliver on it is tough if it's ever needed; at least according to reddit.

Try not to drain the battery to 0% and charge them indoors if possible and hopefully the saw and batteries will serve you a long while. Keep us updated; I'm curious to know how it works in the real world.
FWIW when I ordered my 60v saw direct from Greenworks, it came without a battery. I called Greenworks and explained the battery was simply missing. They trusted me to tell the truth and sent a battery 2 day shipping.

• Love
FWIW when I ordered my 60v saw direct from Greenworks, it came without a battery. I called Greenworks and explained the battery was simply missing. They trusted me to tell the truth and sent a battery 2 day shipping.

That's promising! Hopefully they're making an effort to change that portion they lacked -- it looked like a solid performing saw in testing, the warranty issue was my only reservation. Good to know!

That's promising! Hopefully they're making an effort to change that portion they lacked -- it looked like a solid performing saw in testing, the warranty issue was my only reservation. Good to know!
Another point is that the saw, like many homeowner saws, has a fixed oiler. I use winter oil in mine even in the summer so that I can see it using the oil. Oil still only needs filled when the battery needs charged.
Speaking of charging, it only takes 10 minutes or so so once you clean/stack your cuts, it's ready again. It's not like the chargers of old that take 2-3 hours. Sounds like a spaceship but gets the job done quick!

Another point is that the saw, like many homeowner saws, has a fixed oiler. I use winter oil in mine even in the summer so that I can see it using the oil. Oil still only needs filled when the battery needs charged.
Speaking of charging, it only takes 10 minutes or so so once you clean/stack your cuts, it's ready again. It's not like the chargers of old that take 2-3 hours. Sounds like a spaceship but gets the job done quick!

You're making me want to get one now. ;lol

In side by side Youtube comparisons, the Greenworks 60v was one of the fastest electric saws on the market. Their 80v might be faster yet, I don't know. It was only beaten in the hardwood round cutting tests by the Dewalt and Echo. The 40v "standard" Ryobi came in 5th (out of around 12 brands) and the HP version wasn't tested in the video testing I saw. Given that the HP version has only about 0.25hp less than the DeWalt, I figured the HP version would be a solid choice for me and that's what I intended to get as an intermediate complementary saw. The Greenworks, I'd be paying half the price though for a potentially better saw as long as it lasts... tempting for sure.

Fixed oiler might get me in trouble, I'm not sure. I used to use standard bar oil until the price doubled during COVID, now I just triple filter my used engine oil (all 15w40) in a homemade filtration system and use about a quarter bottle of gear oil mixed in per gallon to thicken it up some. I always said I'd never use used engine oil as a bar oil replacement but never expected to be paying $12 a gallon or more for it. I recall just a few years ago being able to pick up 2/$10 on sale damn near whenever I wanted it.

I bought a cheap harbor freight one a few years ago for $39 and haven’t used the poulan since. I was pretty surprised what I could do with the cheap Chinese thing. It’s held up alright so far. It’s the same size as my poulan.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I saw that deal at TSC. I have that saw but with 4aH battery....
Mine is just the 2.5ah battery. As for the bar/chain oil, soon I'll probably bring the container in the house just so it's easier to pour (outside).
Of course I'll be using the gas saw, but based on my first experience with the Greenworks saw I think it may be less than half the time.

I bought a cheap harbor freight one a few years ago for $39 and haven’t used the poulan since. I was pretty surprised what I could do with the cheap Chinese thing. It’s held up alright so far. It’s the same size as my poulan.

I guess the Greenworks is a cheap Chinese thing, (at half price) says made in China on the box. Doesn't feel cheap though.

Mine is just the 2.5ah battery. As for the bar/chain oil, soon I'll probably bring the container in the house just so it's easier to pour (outside).
Of course I'll be using the gas saw, but based on my first experience with the Greenworks saw I think it may be less than half the time.

I guess the Greenworks is a cheap Chinese thing, (at half price) says made in China on the box. Doesn't feel cheap though.
Right, it absolutley feels like a real saw. A small saw, but real. Country or origin really has little measning anymore. Junk comes from everywhere, so does quality.

You're making me want to get one now. ;lol

In side by side Youtube comparisons, the Greenworks 60v was one of the fastest electric saws on the market. Their 80v might be faster yet, I don't know. It was only beaten in the hardwood round cutting tests by the Dewalt and Echo. The 40v "standard" Ryobi came in 5th (out of around 12 brands) and the HP version wasn't tested in the video testing I saw. Given that the HP version has only about 0.25hp less than the DeWalt, I figured the HP version would be a solid choice for me and that's what I intended to get as an intermediate complementary saw. The Greenworks, I'd be paying half the price though for a potentially better saw as long as it lasts... tempting for sure.

Fixed oiler might get me in trouble, I'm not sure. I used to use standard bar oil until the price doubled during COVID, now I just triple filter my used engine oil (all 15w40) in a homemade filtration system and use about a quarter bottle of gear oil mixed in per gallon to thicken it up some. I always said I'd never use used engine oil as a bar oil replacement but never expected to be paying $12 a gallon or more for it. I recall just a few years ago being able to pick up 2/$10 on sale damn near whenever I wanted it.
I just bought 2 gallons of bar oil today. $20/gal at TSC. Homebrewing it sounds interesting but right now I'm time poor.

What's your filter method?

I just bought 2 gallons of bar oil today. $20/gal at TSC. Homebrewing it sounds interesting but right now I'm time poor.

Wow - didn't realize bar oil was that expensive! I thought last season I bought a container that the entire contents would mix with a gallon of gas, easy. The one I bought recently was for 2.5 gallons of gas. I could only do the best I could no estimate that ratio, so used a bit more than half the contents. I hope it's not too critical.

My Dad used to filter his used diesel oil through a drum with a bunch of layers of drywall near the bottom.

I'm glad bar oil goes as far as it does. I just grabbed 2 gallons at 16 each. That's enough to cut a whoppin ton of wood.

I have a 5 gallon(ish) cat litter bucket that I cut a 6" or so diameter hole through the top of and using some HDPE(?) 6" cheap plastic piping I have leftover from another project along with a connector.

I cut off a pant leg off my kiddos old clothes from rags, tie a knot at the end and make a cloth cone filter at the top (secured by rubber bands) then pour the oil in the top through the cone filter. At the connector at the bottom (connector is stuffed through the hole into the bucket and secured with tape, nothing special) I tapered the HDPE slightly and stuffed a reusable fine cloth shop vac filter in there along with a 1/4" thick felt pad that's just friction fit in and oversized.

All gravity fed, pours through 2 layers of cloth and 1/4" thick felt, nothing special. I made it about 3 months ago, have already used at least a gallon of it. Definitely runnier and slingier than standard bar oil which is why I added a little bit of gear oil to thicken it some, but seems to be working just fine overall.

I'm probably going to need to turn down the oiler speed just a smidge on my 562XP assuming I can as I do notice that it empties about 15-20% faster than the gas tank now.

How did this go from electric saws to bar oil?😕

On electric saws?

🤣

I’ll just add that I love our electric chain saw. My husband loves that I feel comfortable enough with it to help with sawing. He uses the bigger gas powered chainsaw that we got from my mother a few years back when damaged rotator cuffs prevented her from starting it any longer. Our property is a bit too big for an extension cord to let us do all the cutting, but he brings the materials he cuts to our barn where I can buck and split (with an electric splitter). When we lived on a small suburban lot near D.C., the electric chainsaw was all we needed even if we did occasionally have to roll wood to cut through from both sides.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
How did this go from electric saws to bar oil?😕
Because there is no electric oil. Still need the hydrocarbons for that.

On electric saws?

🤣
Just kidding. One less maintenance item. Replacement batteries though cost about 3/4 as much as the saw itself at the on sale price.
I’ll just add that I love our electric chain saw. My husband loves that I feel comfortable enough with it to help with sawing. He uses the bigger gas powered chainsaw that we got from my mother ...
I hope to say the same. Haven't used mine much yet. As stated above, I'll certainly be using the gas saw, but the electric one seems to be a welcome addition that has it's place.

Just kidding. One less maintenance item. Replacement batteries though cost about 3/4 as much as the saw itself at the on sale price.
Yea, that's why I went corded. My DeWalt drill batteries are slowly giving out too. Drill is fine, but it's almost cheaper to buy a new package than the (old, 18 V with the battery pack with the big pin sticking out) new batteries.

Yea, that's why I went corded. My DeWalt drill batteries are slowly giving out too. Drill is fine, but it's almost cheaper to buy a new package than the (old, 18 V with the battery pack with the big pin sticking out) new batteries.
Until manufacturers standardize on a battery (maybe never) there is a solution to replace over 90% of batteries out there. Your battery pack is comprised of an array of rechargeable Lithium ion cells, probably 18650. These are standardized in size and can be replaced. It takes some knowledge of electronics, easily accessible on YouTube.

Reactions: stoveliker
Oil Thread...

I don't think there's a single electric chainsaw on the market that uses a brushed motor -- at least I hope not. I may be wrong on this, but this isn't the proper application for it and if manufacturers are, shame on them. They simply will not last in this application.

Last edited: