Anyone using thermo-electric generators?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Hello all, Is anyone using a TEG (not including a fan)? I was told that there is a system in existance specificaly for woodstoves, but no amount of web surfing has found it. Any info helpful. Thankyou.

Yes, that is the type of thing I am asking about, but I have heard that there is a ready to usr unit for wood stove, but can't find it. thank you for the link.

Did you even look at the link provided by crazy-dan? I am here to learn and in turn to pass on what I discover which may be helpful to others.

Several years later... Yes, I know some folks working with this technology. I know a few people who have worked on Stirling stuff at Sunpower here in Athens, OH.

My humble opinion is that TEG's heated via wood/coal stove can currently add to charging battery banks. I don't feel that it is a a standalone power-source, especially due to uh, summer. But thinking about the ability to illuminate low voltage lighting and charge cell phones from these devices is absolutely cool. If one is establishing a low voltage system and trying to prepare for power outages, this should be considered as an explorable technology.

I have been experimenting with Solar for about a decade (mostly while living in Phoenix, AZ). It takes a lifestyle change to live a low voltage DC reality, but i think that the "Burner" culture is already doing a similar thing.

Will be glad to talk about such things, share research.

Several years later... Yes, I know some folks working with this technology. I know a few people who have worked on Stirling stuff at Sunpower here in Athens, OH.

My humble opinion is that TEG's heated via wood/coal stove can currently add to charging battery banks. I don't feel that it is a a standalone power-source, especially due to uh, summer. But thinking about the ability to illuminate low voltage lighting and charge cell phones from these devices is absolutely cool. If one is establishing a low voltage system and trying to prepare for power outages, this should be considered as an explorable technology.

I have been experimenting with Solar for about a decade (mostly while living in Phoenix, AZ). It takes a lifestyle change to live a low voltage DC reality, but i think that the "Burner" culture is already doing a similar thing.

Will be glad to talk about such things, share research.

Good job digging up this oldie.
There have been more recent threads.

I couldn't find the old threads on this forum, or the article I remember, but there was an article (probably in Home Power) describing such a system in use in Iceland for small circulating pumps in isolated cabins using true geothermal heat (hot springs).

I ran a thread on TEG power off a woodstove a while back and would be interested in what your research has shown up. We get several outages here. Actually, with a black absorption plate, why wouldn't this work in summer too?

Status
Not open for further replies.