Anyone with a Greenwood Aspen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I want to disclose that I am a Greenwood dealer, I don't want you to think I'm trying to trick you. I'll try to be unbiased on the unit. We've got an Aspen running here at our office. Has worked great so far this heating season. Really really clean burning. Burn times seem pretty good. We have a video of it running on YouTube. Just search for ThisWarmHouse on Youtube. Making sure you have a nice bed of coals seems to be the key with these downdraft gasifiers. Do you have specific questions about it? I'll try to answer best I can.

Is the Aspen just a Greenwood put in a insulated outdoor shell? I saw the greenwood in action at the US Farm show. I liked what I saw but its not a true test of a boiler.

SE Iowa said:
Is the Aspen just a Greenwood put in a insulated outdoor shell? I saw the greenwood in action at the US Farm show. I liked what I saw but its not a true test of a boiler.

The greenwood aspen and the regular greenwood are completely different animals. The Aspen is a blower induced downdraft gasifier and has 75 gallons of water storage. The indoor greenwood is a natural updraft gasifier with no water storage but heat transfer pipes instead. The Aspen is more efficient and cleaner burning (made phase 2 epa testing, indoor greenwood didn't). The aspen was actually designed by a company called ProFab and then Greenwood bought the design from them.

Given the choice if my application could use either I would go with the Aspen since it is more of a true gasifier design.

Status
Not open for further replies.