Aspen C3 in a Canvas Tent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hawkswine

Mar 11, 2024
Madison, WI
We are trying to pick a wood burning stove for use in our canvas wall tent in SW Wisconsin. The tent is 14' x16' and 7.5' tall at the center (5' at the side walls) and has a cedar deck floor (we will put tile under the stove). We really want something affordable (under $2,000) that can hold a fire through the night. (7 hours+). We are considering the Aspen C3 but also a couple of the smaller Drolet models like the Spark II. Any advice and guidance on models, install, and tent safety would be greatly appreciated! We will be installing it ourselves and we are completely off grid for now.

Reactions: wetwood4life
Year round or seasonal? Do you want a cookstove?

Consider a simpler stove that will work on a short chimney. The True North TN10 has a firebox about the size of the Aspen.

I have an Aspen C3. I like it in my house, but I would want it in a tent. The clearances are good, but I haven’t gotten it dialed in for overnight burns consistently yet. I get close sometimes, defiantly can relight, but 7 hrs of heat is tough without a reload.

Hello. We finished our second year of fall/winter camping in our 16x20 wall tent with same sidewall height as yours. We got the “Yukon” model stove from walltentshop.com. It heats great, has a 5 gallon hot water tank, and a large flat surface top for cooking. Plus, an old guy like me can move it and set it up by myself if needed.
I’ve messed around with other stove types from old wonderwoods to cook stoves. Our stove now is really designed for our application. Very satisfied.
Regarding burn time, it’s got a 3.3 foot box, but there’s not much r factor in canvas, so I feed it every 4-5 hours at 10 degrees with good wood. That’s about as cold as I’ve used the tent. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have an Aspen C3. I like it in my house, but I would want it in a tent. The clearances are good, but I haven’t gotten it dialed in for overnight burns consistently yet. I get close sometimes, defiantly can relight, but 7 hrs of heat is tough without a reload.
That was supposed to say wouldn’t.