Apex 42 Cat times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mooch

Jan 23, 2019
Jm
I have a FPX apex42. I live in northern Illinois. My question is what are some expected times from the time the cat is activated (500°) to the time it is no longer active. Average outside temp 30° full load of hardwood at average moisture of 18-27 on a fresh split.

I don't know your stove, so can't tell you. But I can tell you it'd be significantly longer if you get your wood drier to below 20%.
27% is too wet to burn.

With wood that wet be sure to keep an eye on your chimney as creosote will most likely be an issue.

While I can't answer your question, it'll be useful (for those who may be able to asnwer) to have the following data:

- chimney height
- firebox size
- wood species (hardwood is a rather wide variety of BTU/lbs)
- air setting (burning wide open will give you a shorter time than smoldering at low output)

While I can't answer your question, it'll be useful (for those who may be able to asnwer) to have the following data:

- chimney height
- firebox size
- wood species (hardwood is a rather wide variety of BTU/lbs)
- air setting (burning wide open will give you a shorter time than smoldering at low output)
Chimney height is around 24ft
Box size 3cuft
Walnut and cherry
Usually set it around the mid-mid low for overnight and about half during the daytime

Others will be able to correct me (likely needed), but a 3 cu ft box should at least give 10 hrs for that wood (if properly dry) and mid settings. The wet wood will make you run higher to get the BTUs out (because many BTUs are needed to boil off the water up the flue.)

Your chimney is rather tall though, and that can reduce the times because of higher draft, sucking up more heat into the flue.

With wood that wet be sure to keep an eye on your chimney as creosote will most likely be an iss

Others will be able to correct me (likely needed), but a 3 cu ft box should at least give 10 hrs for that wood (if properly dry) and mid settings. The wet wood will make you run higher to get the BTUs out (because many BTUs are needed to boil off the water up the flue.)

Your chimney is rather tall though, and that can reduce the times because of higher draft, sucking up more heat into the flue.
Ok I'm getting around 5 hours of catalytic active 500° or hotter on a full load

Sounds low to me. Could be wet wood, could be too much draft.

The Apex 42 is primarily an E/W loader with a wide firebox. Although the tall firebrick makes the firebox capacity on paper read 3.0 cu ft, the actual, practical load of wood will be significantly less due to concern about logs rolling into the glass. For this reason, I think, the maximum burn time is listed at 12 hrs.

What length of firewood is the fireplace burning? Can you take a picture of the next full loading?

The Apex 42 is primarily an E/W loader with a wide firebox. Although the tall firebrick makes the firebox capacity on paper read 3.0 cu ft, the actual, practical load of wood will be significantly less due to concern about logs rolling into the glass. For this reason, I think, the maximum burn time is listed at 12 hrs.

What length of firewood is the fireplace burning? Can you take a picture of the next full loading?
The wood I have now is about 18" then I fill in the gaps with smaller pieces n/s. Yes I agree box is narrow and tall

20221117_143339.jpg 20221117_145727.jpg

You're doing a pretty good job. Try a load of all N/S loaded wood to compare burn times. For comparison, this is our stove loaded with 18" splits. It looks like I might be fitting in 3 more splits.

Alderlea full.jpg

You're doing a pretty good job. Try a load of all N/S loaded wood to compare burn times. For comparison, this is our stove loaded with 18" splits. It looks like I might be fitting in 3 more splits.

View attachment 303025
Yes I have 6 at 18" and then the 2 n/s. I will try a full load of N/S tomorrow for sure

There are many stove Tetris pics on here.

My point was that you can surely fit more in the stove.

See e.g. the tight packing here (and this is not the best I did, it's the first example I could find)

My point was that you can surely fit more in the stove.

See e.g. the tight packing here (and this is not the best I did, it's the first example I could find)
Looks like there's more room on top

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, except for the cat being there, just out of sight.