Appalachian Fireplace Insert 4N1XL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jay962

Apr 8, 2023
Rochester, Michigan
I would like to install an Appalachian 4N1XL in my wood burning fireplace. The pipe opening on the insert is 8" diameter. The current opening in the damper area is around 6". Sure, prefer not to modify damper area for an 8" pipe. I was thinking of using a 8 to 6" reducer at the insert and then connect a 6" pipe to it and then the liner. Anybody used a 6" liner with the Appalachian 4N1XL? Any draft issues? Thanks!

I don't believe this is a zero clearance fire place.
You are going to have to cut the damper out to fit a 6" anyway. If you really want to use that old stove your going to need to run an 8" liner. Is there even room for one in the flue?

Thanks for reply. Will propably just sell and get another used one with 6" opening. Good learning lesson! Another question: Is the 8" opening on this insert due to the BTU output, ie. more heat needs more air/exhaust and thus a larger pipe?