Apple products - rant (bad service???)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you for going with the repair instead of the trash can.

A bit off-topic, but noticed this tweet from a guy who runs one of the top "drone" manufacturing companies - and was also a top editor at Wired.....

"Chris Anderson ‏@chr1sa20 Sep
In airport w/out a single non-Apple computer in sight, I'm going to call this rock bottom for MSFT. Time for liberation of disintegration?"

I'm in an airport right now and can second that. I'm the only Android user in sight too!!

On my ferry commute you see lots of laptops. I would guess that the split is about 50/50 Apple/Microsoft. But I do see tablets taking over at least 25%. Of those most are iPads. This is in Seattle, msft territory.

Those PC laptops could be running Linux, too. At least they do in this house.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Apple works. They last too. I don't know many who've gone back to MSFT based products. Some android, though. Simplicity and reliability of the OS is probably why we like it. You don't have to be a comp whiz to use them either.

A far cry from the dark days of the mid 90's with lots of speculation about Apple going under. I remember carrying around probably the only PowerBook 540c in most of Central America. Microsoft seemingly had purchased every billboard to tout Windows 95 at the time down there. I now use whatever suits the application but my general purpose web surfer is a Mac. I admin most of my Windows or Linux servers from my Mac via shell, rdp or vnc.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Well, I got back into town yesterday after being away for work and a box with a shiny new digitizer was waiting on me. After making sure I got all the old glass and adhesive off the frame I removed the 4 screws holding the LCD in place and moved the LCD out of the way. Two VERY small clips held the digitizer cable/ribbon in place...flipped them up and removed...installed the new one and reset the clips. Reinstalled the LCD screen next.

I figured before I got past the point of no return (installing the new digitizer and letting the new adhesive take hold) I would test everything. I pressed the power button and the screen turned on but was extremely dark...like so dark you could barely tell it was on. Oh chit. My google-fu revealed that this is common and a hard reset (hold down power and home keys for 30 seconds) should clear it up...and it did.

With that out of the way I dry-fit the new glass and revealed that the corner was slightly bent in and I wasn't getting a good fit. The case is soft enough I was able to easily bend it back in shape.

Now that I was confident that it would fit together properly I removed the backing to the pre-applied double-stick tape, placed the left corners of the digitizer in place, and closed it like a book. Press firmly everywhere to seat the glass.

Bingo. Good as new iPad...for about $170 less dollars.

I would do the job again without hesitation. Total time about 2 hours...most of which was removing the old glass...and I REALLY took my time on everything, much more so than usual.

Reactions: Swedishchef
That is awesome Lukem! Next time (which I hope doesn't happen) I will do it myself. WHere's ya get the digitizer from?

At least they are replacing my iPad for free. It has been going back and forth between 2 towns FOR 2 WEEKS because of a bad shipping label on it (Apple's mistake).

A

I do have an otter cover on mine. Don't know if it works though. I'm not dropping it to find out either:rolleyes:

Ha ha. I will certainly be buying something. I am just not sure what yet. The iPad I was supposed to receive finally arrived at it's destination. It only took 2.5 weeks to go 1000 miles.

I could have walked it there faster.

Waiting for Apple to send me the replacement and refund my $350.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.