Apple wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie0742001

Oct 6, 2006
My body has a bunch of applewwood on his property from anm apple tree that he had cut down a few years ago. Most of it appears to be rotten in the center. How good does applewood burn?Is the rotten center a big problem? Thanks.

Hmm rotten center, but the outside is solid? In my situation I would take it. hardwood is difficult to come by where I live.

Burns great when seasoned. Don't worry about that rotted part. Split it to salvage the solid wood.

I just picked up a bunch of cherry like that ( rotten in center) came away with a good pile of wood after I "chunked" it up with my chainsaw. I would jump on that apple in a heartbeat, apple is one of the most high btu firewood source out there. Where are you located??

Apple is one of the top BTU woods. As the boys said the rotten centers will drop out when splitting..

I have a cord in the shed that i save for below zero stuff..It takes a while to season though. Great stuff I would grab it if the outer diameter stuff is still solid.

Apple burns great, don't worry about the rot, go get it!

Great BTU's and if you have any chips after splitting, save them for the grill or smoker. I use the fruit woods (apple, pear, cherry) more than hickory or oak. They add a mild smoke taste to poultry and fish (salmon, trout, tuna, etc.). We were lucky enough to remove an old orchard last year. Other than a few ants on some of the oldest stuff, I've been very pleased. Just try to split it out away from your wood pile and buildings. It does burn hot!!

If close by and easy to access or wood is not plentiful then go for it. But I wouldn't grab it over another oak if the oak was easier/closer to get and the same cost......free.
Don't know what the wood supply is in your neck of the woods.

Apple is good, but don't leave any unsplit - it will take forever to dry properly. The stuff I split last spring burns very well with lots of heat and lasts a real long time, but some of the limbs that I left as rounds, most 6" on down, don't burn as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.