appliance connector and flow of exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctswf

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
ct, usa
hi

I will soon be installing a drolet 1800i and one of the only things im slightly confused about is the appliance connector.

the appliance connector slips in to the stoves flue outlet and around the liner.

I just assumed all connections would flow IN to the next piece, with the flow of air. Same as you would do installing gutters for example.

there seems to be no choice, and the pieces do fit perfectly. Im assuming I should caulk these all in with furnace cement? theres no mention of that but im confused how there would be no air leakage.

HI Ct, the appliance conn slips into stove collar, crimp goes down in new stoves. This would prevent creosote dripping outside of stove if it should happen- but if you burn good seasoned wood at the right stovetop temps (350-700), you'll find the chimney and liner stay very clean. When the appliance conn goes into stove, don't forget screws through stove collar into the conn for a mechanical conn.

ah yes! the direction in case of dripping makes sense.

should I seal these connections w high temp silicon or furnace cement?

It's not needed as the draft will keep a negative pressure inside the flue. On startups you may get a bit of smoke as the draft establishes. That said, it certainly doesn't hurt to seal it. Use furnace cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.