Archaeological hearths in Europe suggests that the oldest date to just 400,000 years ago!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Humans may have been much later to master fire than we thought. A review of supposed archaeological hearths in Europe suggests that the oldest date to just 400,000 years ago. The finding suggests that humans expanded into cold northern climates without the warmth of fire – and that cooking was not the evolutionary trigger that boosted our brain size.

See more info here
http://www.newscientist.com/article...-spark-human-colonisation-of-cold-europe.html

Attachments

• dn20242-1_300.jpg
    dn20242-1_300.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 126
New scientist is not peer reviewed, and it's ideas are often hypothetical and not garnered from peer reviewed articles. Just ideas rolling, which is fine as long as it's not interpreted as solid science. That being said; there are good ideas there, and homonid evolution is a fascinating subject.

Homonid control of fire dates back to the invention of the Super Cedar.

i would think one would want to look in Africa....not Europe, for really old hearths. I doubt they will be easy to find though. Leave it to the Europeans to try to claim fire all for themsleves...they also invented paper, gunpowder, and the boomarang.

I remember a hypothesis that standing on hind legs to look for predators in tall grass was a major step in brain size. The additional benefit was that we could carry stuff with our hands if we balanced well on 2 stems.

Von Daniken thinks it was introduction of alien DNA. Here's one of my recent interpretations of what those ancestors may have looked like

208997_3300522953742_1211412847_n.jpg

The Earth is only 6000 years old though- so this is all hooey.

Status
Not open for further replies.