Arctic Blast coming to Northeast next week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey21

Minister of Fire
Oct 28, 2010
Soutwest VA
Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON WV
241 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013

...LOW PRESSURE PASSES SOUTH...SPREADING HEAVY SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL
AND SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS.

VAZ003-004-WVZ033>036-170345-
/O.NEW.KRLX.WS.W.0001.130117T1000Z-130118T0600Z/
DICKENSON-BUCHANAN-MCDOWELL-WYOMING-RALEIGH-FAYETTE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLINTWOOD...GRUNDY...VANSANT...WELCH...
GARY...WAR...MULLENS...OCEANA...PINEVILLE...BECKLEY...OAK HILL...
FAYETTEVILLE...MONTGOMERY
241 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM THURSDAY TO 1 AM EST
FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM THURSDAY
TO 1 AM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...DICKENSON...BUCHANAN...MCDOWELL...WYOMING...RALEIGH
AND FAYETTE COUNTIES.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW. BRIEF PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 8 INCHES. LOCALIZED HEAVIER SNOW
AMOUNTS POSSIBLE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A TENTH OF AN INCH OR LESS.

* TIMING...THE BULK OF SNOW WILL OCCUR FROM 6 AM TO 6 PM THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...UNTREATED ROADS MAY BECOME SNOW COVERED AND ICY. WET
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON TREES AND POWER LINES MAY PRODUCE POWER
FLUCTUATIONS OR OUTAGES.

* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER
WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT
AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS.
ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN
EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE
OF AN EMERGENCY.

PLEASE REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
BY CALLING TOLL FREE...800-401-9535...WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY.

YOU CAN ALSO REPORT WINTER WEATHER BY POSTING YOUR REPORT TO THE
CHARLESTON WEST VIRGINIA NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FACEBOOK
PAGE...OR BY USING THE TWITTER HASHTAG...NWSRLX.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/RLX.

&&

$$

Good luck. Glad you are getting it and so far almost all the snow has missed us this winter. We have less than an inch on the ground.

Good luck. Glad you are getting it and so far almost all the snow has missed us this winter. We have less than an inch on the ground.
Thank you. We could lose power if that forecast is right we usually do.

Its been snowing with freezing drizzle on and off for 24 hours now. Its damp and raw out, and sloppier then hell. Waiting for branches to start falling under the weight of the ice. One good thing- the wood stove is crankin

Reactions: Thistle and corey21
Its been snowing with freezing drizzle on and off for 24 hours now. Its damp and raw out, and sloppier then hell. Waiting for branches to start falling under the weight of the ice. One good thing- the wood stove is crankin
Yep im glad i got the kinks worked out of the stove don't have no issues staying warm.

I will attempt to post a snowfall model for you Virginians (take with a grain of salt please, but there is a lot of energy up there)
temp16.jpg

I'm patiently waiting for some real winter weather so I can crank my stoves up a little......this running just barely over "idle" is getting old.

Reactions: jharkin and Thistle
What temps are coming your way with this Artic Cold front? I think we might see - 15.

We are expecting 3-6 on Friday which will make it nice.

What temps are coming your way with this Artic Cold front? I think we might see - 15.
I saw some low single digits, but that's apt to change as it seems they adjust it lower each day.....
I know when it's zero or lower outside because when I walk out on the backporch to go to work in the morning just by the way the air feels in my breathing. It's been awhile since we've had any real stretch of cold air, it doesn't look like this one is going to be all that cold.

I saw some low single digits, but that's apt to change as it seems they adjust it lower each day.....
I know when it's zero or lower outside because when I walk out on the backporch to go to work in the morning just by the way the air feels in my breathing. It's been awhile since we've had any real stretch of cold air, it doesn't look like this one is going to be all that cold.
Last night when I checked the weather they had us going down to -23 on Tuessday, today they bumped it up to -7.

This morning I walked out of the garage,I look down the driveway and the turkeys were gliding in for a landing, gotta grab my camera tomorrow.

Tuesday I was coming out of the woods from a small walk, the turkey flew right in front of me, missed by about four feet.

Reactions: ScotO
Last night when I checked the weather they had us going down to -23 on Tuessday, today they bumped it up to -7.

This morning I walked out of the garage,I look down the driveway and the turkeys were gliding in for a landing, gotta grab my camera tomorrow.

Tuesday I was coming out of the woods from a small walk, the turkey flew right in front of me, missed by about four feet.
He'd be laying in the roaster if that was me!!

49 here today,35 tommorow,50 on Friday,42 on Saturday.Then 18 Sunday,14 Monday & 9 on Tuesday if we're lucky.Lows -10 by Tuesday morning,warming back up middle of next week.Most all the snow from the pre Christmas blizzard is gone now,a few piles in parking lots & a couple inches left on north/west facing slopes in rural areas.

Going down to -20 tonight. Heavy NW wind all day tomorrow high -17. Beginning Sunday night -26 night/-18 days. Now we are finally getting some winter.....................

We are expecting 3-6 on Friday which will make it nice.
I hope it does snow seems we are in a snow drought got plenty of rain but i hope for snow tomorrow.

They are saying it is going to real cold here also.

Reactions: evilgriff
Status
Not open for further replies.