Arctic Blast coming to Northeast next week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of winter left if you live up here, it looks like the worst of the storm will stay southeast of us. Lake Ontario is still open so it's just a matter of time before we get Lake Effect.

Reactions: corey21
Stop rubbing it in:mad: Its just not fair all these storms seem to go around me

Reactions: corey21
Lake Ontario is still open so it's just a matter of time before we get Lake Effect.

Ha, it NEVER freezes here. Most we'll see is 10 or so feet of ice off shore, and ice volcanos. If they didn't put the ice boom in on the upper river, we'd probably have warmer spring temps sooner....(because they release it so late, we have the ice from Erie floating around after ours is gone)

Yess!!!!! we are finally getting some snow tomorrow night. We've had crazy rain all week. I'm about one rainy day away from crazy town at my job. I even lost power for about 12 hours.

They'll cancel school Friday and I'll have a wonderful 4 day weekend to play in the snow! (and get caught up with school <>)

Winter Storm Warning in Western North Carolina

Heavy snow expected over parts of the North Carolina Mountains and foothills Thursday and Thursday night.
Low pressure will develop across Central Georgia late tonight. And then move across the Midlands on Thursday. The low will spread another round of precipitation across the western Carolinas. As the low approaches the southeast coast, cold air will begin filtering into the far western mountains of North Carolina. This is expected to result in a quick transition to snow across portions of the mountains during the afternoon hours. Heavy accumulations of snow will be possible. During the evening hours the rain snow line will move eastward. Parts of the North Carolina foothills and Piedmont may see a period of accumulating snowfall during this time.
Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 1 pm Thursday to midnight EST Thursday night.
  • Locations: the central and northern mountains and adjacent foothills of North Carolina.
  • Hazards: Heavy snow.
  • Timing: a transition from rain to snow is expected by Thursday afternoon.
  • Accumulations: snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches at higher elevations. High elevations near the Tennessee state line could see 10 to 12 inches of snow. Accumulations in the valleys and foothills are forecast to receive 2 to 4 inches.
  • Impacts: snowfall creating hazardous driving conditions. Heavy wet snow combined with gusty winds may knock down trees and pull down power lines in some areas.
  • Temperatures: falling into the lower 30s by late afternoon.
  • Winds: north 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

"Temperatures are expected to remain mostly seasonal until Sunday, when strong northwest winds push into the upper Midwest from Canada, dropping temperatures into the teens Sunday and into the single digits by Monday, the weather service said.

Temperatures could then dip below zero with wind chills of between 20 and 30 degrees below zero possible Monday night........."

I called the oil man today...........:(
The conversation went something like this:

Me, "Hi. We need to order a fill."
Him, "Okay, you've got a 275 gallon tank. You last filled up.......... ummmmmmmmmm..... 3 years ago???"
Me, "That's correct."
Him, "Ummm......."
Me, "We heat with wood now."
Him, "Ummm, okay. We can be out Thursday or Friday."
I tested the furnace out overnight last night. Still works! :)
I call "Uncle" when the forecast is 20-30 degrees below zero, windchill.

Reactions: Beer Belly and loon
Windchill doesn't really effect in the house unless you have poor insulation/sealing! I'll notice it a bit when we get 60-70mph winds but more cause the house shakes a bit, not cause I'm loosing heat.

I figured someone from Alaska would pop in here. :)

I admit it.

I'm a wimp.

But, in my defense, I'm just a girl. :)

I think my house would implode in those kinds of temps.

Reactions: Ashful and Wildo
I think my house would implode in those kinds of temps.

Well, I've never heard of a Wisconsin house imploding due to cold weather - but they sure can snap, crackle and pop from the cold. Kind of freaky when the house does that......

I probably should clarify: I'll keep the stove cooking but will have the furnace on in case inside temps drop too low during the night.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Aww, heck. I fired up the furnace when it got down to -12 at night. I hated it, but I did it.
Doesn't last long, you'll be back to a strictly wood diet before you know it.
I hope to be as well insulated as Nate someday. (I think he quits burning when it warms up to -20) :)

Reactions: PapaDave
What kind of gets my goat on all this is I've been down with a seasonal 'thing' since just before Christmas. Finally switched doctors because my previous Dr. said whatever I had wasn't treatable. Well, the new Dr. put me on new meds two days ago and I'm feeling a little better already. In the mean time I've got a trailer full of rounds that's been sitting on my trailer since the week I got sick. That REALLY bugs me.

I have my own personal rule here: NOTHING gets 'stored' on my trailer. Trailers are meant to be used at the drop of a hat. Right now, if I ran into a good scrounge I'd have to unload the trailer first. Read: "Work before work." Ticks me off that stuff is still on there.

Oh well, maybe the real cold weather won't last long and I'll be feeling better to get out there and get that stuff split/stacked.

Reactions: PapaDave
Hang in there, Shari, and I hope you do feel better soon. I've still got 2 cords that need stacking from before Christmas and haven't been sick a day ;em I'm bracing for similar weather and my house does leak like a sieve, so the windchill is fully as effective inside as it is out ;hm Keep warm!

Meantime; the Gulf States and Heart of Dixie continue to kick our tail this winter...yet another WSWarning for central MS and flows into AL:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS
404 AM CST THU JAN 17 2013

...WINTER STORM WITH HEAVY SNOW WILL IMPACT PORTIONS OF THE
ARKLAMISS REGION LATE TONIGHT INTO THURSDAY MORNING...

404 AM CST THU JAN 17 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST THIS
MORNING...

* TIMING: SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO FALL OVER THE AREA THROUGH MID
MORNING. PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW WILL BE LIKELY...WITH THE HEAVIEST
SNOW FALLING BETWEEN NOW AND 8 AM CST.

* MAIN IMPACT: SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES ARE EXPECTED WITH
ISOLATED 4 INCH ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE.

* OTHER IMPACTS: DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE THIS
MORNING. BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WILL BE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE TO
BECOMING SNOW AND SLUSH COVERED. THIS WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT THE
MORNING COMMUTE IN THE JACKSON METRO AREA.

I am beginning to wonder if it is going to do any thing or not i think more cold air is needed.

I agree, when I go out in the morning to warm up the car it looks, fells and smells like snow. Then its 50'f by lunchtime and raining. I even put a spoon under my pillow and wore my pj's inside out, still no snow!

I agree, when I go out in the morning to warm up the car it looks, fells and smells like snow. Then its 50'f by lunchtime and raining. I even put a spoon under my pillow and wore my pj's inside out, still no snow!
There is precip over me but it is like there is a dry air mass in place.

I probably should clarify: I'll keep the stove cooking but will have the furnace on in case inside temps drop too low during the night.
I do this when the temps overnight are expect to be 30*F above.....can't have the Wife get a chill

I am beginning to wonder if it is going to do any thing or not i think more cold air is needed.
That's what they thought in MS. (3" has been reported so far at several stations)
Surface temps are not the whole story.
Another thing; your low temp is expected to fall to teens/20s Friday.
Check back tonight.

I'm seeing teens coming to Northwest Jersey for the weekend/early next week!

Winds do effect us, but we know why. They come in through the attic vents and right down into the living room via the largish hole in the ceiling. We're working on that.

We had steady 20-25 MPH winds this morning. It was unusually cold and I could smell the VF had been on when I got up this morning. Hopefully the winds knock off before it drops to the teens tonight, or one of us will be in the attic moving some insulation. When it's warmer out, the hole is nice, we don't need to open a window if we get overly excited in filling the stove, lol.

Hang in there, Shari, and I hope you do feel better soon. I've still got 2 cords that need stacking from before Christmas and haven't been sick a day ;em I'm bracing for similar weather and my house does leak like a sieve, so the windchill is fully as effective inside as it is out ;hm Keep warm!

Pfff...we've got about a PILE of wood, likely 3-5 cords still in rounds on the ground. that's for spring CSS. We don't do CSS in the winter, but we'll stop and pick up rounds by the road and add to the pile.

That's what they thought in MS. (3" has been reported so far at several stations)
Surface temps are not the whole story.
Another thing; your low temp is expected to fall to teens/20s Friday.
Check back tonight.
It is beginning to get a little cooler now and on radar it is starting to show more snow. Wind is picking up a little more also.

Status
Not open for further replies.