lanterns and wood stove at the ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
We are expecting and ugly ice storm, my county in particular

Ice Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC 1009 PM EST MON NOV 25 2013 ...ICY CONDITIONS EXPECTED ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE CAROLINA AND GEORGIA MOUNTAINS AND THE NORTH CAROLINA FOOTHILLS... .THE LEADING EDGE OF ABUNDANT MOISTURE TO OUR SOUTH...WILL SURGE INTO THE WESTERN CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA OVERNIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING. THIS MOISTURE WILL ENCOUNTER AN INITIALLY COLD AIR MASS IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION. PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA SHORTLY...AND THEN STREAK EAST. THE COLD NEAR SURFACE TEMPERATURES WILL PROMOTE THE DEVELOPMENT OF FREEZING RAIN. ACCUMULATING ICE IS EXPECTED...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE IN NORTH CAROLINA. WE MAY ALSO HAVE A CONDITION WHERE THE COLDEST AIR BECOMES LOCKED IN LOW LYING AREAS...ALSO NEAR THE BLUE RIDGE. THESE LOCATIONS ARE LIKELY TO SEE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF ICE ACCRETION. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE TO RAIN IN ALL AREAS BY LATE TUESDAY MORNING.

Yikes. Ice storms are the worst! Be safe. Rick

Be safe and careful. Lived with ice storms a lot in Texas and they are nasty.

Cars and electric lines don't like ice.

I remember a couple of doozies when I lived in NOVA.

It promises a day off from school! Or a two hour delay at the very least.

I just wish my kiddo was here for epic scrabble tourneys by the stove. He's in Cali visiting his Dad :(

I remember a couple of doozies when I lived in NOVA.

For sure. Going down my 900 foot downhill driveway was an adventure. Coming back up and going back down was on foot through the leaves that would give way under the ice. For three days. :confused:

Yikes. I hope ours doesn't last. I'm headed to Raleigh for Turkey Day.

Going for a vodka run tomorrow then I should be set for the holiday weekend. BRING IT ON!

Reactions: wenger7446
We're right on the border. Calling for snow showers and freezing rain to start, then all rain by this afternoon.

There's a light coating of snow on the semi-frozen pond right now and a nice warm fire in the stove. :cool:

I hope this doesn't include Rocky Mount<>

Hang in there K!! I'm sure it will happen this year at some point !!

daughter got snow in Wise Va. (up in the highlands) we got a little ice but changed to rain which is straight dumping right now, my dad decided to go get my daughter for her thanksgiving break this morning, its normally 5 hours one way but its looking to be longer this time dad's taking his time as I-81 is a troublesome road when its nice out. i get to take her back to school sunday always fun as i get to take a drive with her and chat about anything and everything

It seems that the last few years, the weather stations have been jumping on the band wagon for "gloom and doom" forecasts. Anything that would merit a "weather alert" and you hear the tone signal beeping on the weather channel.
I know, I know...better safe than sorry.

It seems that the last few years, the weather stations have been jumping on the band wagon for "gloom and doom" forecasts. Anything that would merit a "weather alert" and you hear the tone signal beeping on the weather channel.
I know, I know...better safe than sorry.

They have been snookered too many times. I have told it here before. Back in the 90's we got bombed with snow here. And not a one of them saw it coming. On another occasion one of the local guys warned for two weeks that we were going to get buried and nobody else saw it coming. It happened.

daughter got snow in Wise Va. (up in the highlands) we got a little ice but changed to rain which is straight dumping right now, my dad decided to go get my daughter for her thanksgiving break this morning, its normally 5 hours one way but its looking to be longer this time dad's taking his time as I-81 is a troublesome road when its nice out. i get to take her back to school sunday always fun as i get to take a drive with her and chat about anything and everything
I just went to Rocky Mount NC with my buddy to pick up his daughter......left 10am yesterday, got home today at 7:30am.....got there, did a turn around, and came home.....likely the worst driving conditions I'll ever experience, but we made it.....WHEW !

Status
Not open for further replies.