Arctic Blast coming to Northeast next week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New England primarily. Following courtesy of WxRisk:

1PM FRIDAY... PRECIP in NYC r/s mix... Moderate snow in Much of PA NYC and snow is Just reaching BOS

7PM HEAVY SNOW... eastern PA/ Philly NYC most of NJ all of southeast NY ...all of NYC and Long Island ...all of MASS CT RI ..

Moderate snow over central and eastern PA all of central and eastern and Upstate NY and northern new England

1AM SAT .... STILL heavy all of MASS RI .. Moderate snow still over N NJ NYC southeast Interior NY all of CT western half of Mass southern VT southern NH southern ME

7AM SAT yes this thing is STILL GOING !!!!! Moderate SNOW over all of central and eastern NY still LIGHT snow over NJ NYC southeast Interior NY and northern New England

1PM SAT-- STILL snowing over BOS se mass coast of Maine

I like to see at least 1 good blizzard a winter ,guess i should move to buffalo NY. My truck can handle about a foot of snow before i have to engage the 4x4 then about 2-3 Ft.

Does anyone stack their wood close to the stove as to warm it to facilitate drying?

Maps be showin 23" in some places. I think that the stars have to align for that one, but may be snow blowin' twice. I'm supposed to cut/move/stack kiln wood, and stack the kiln this weekend. Should be really fun.

. I think that the stars have to align for that one

{raises hands in the air} Hear me gods of the stars and moons! accept my sarifice of fried chicken and mashed potato with gravy and grant me the power! but don't let it snow in AP's back yard.....

23" on the way....grease your shovels friends.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Time to gas up the ariens, fill up the back door wood rack, and of course....

Laugh hysterically at the run on bottled water at market basket ;)

Reactions: Delta-T
{raises hands in the air} Hear me gods of the stars and moons! accept my sarifice of fried chicken and mashed potato with gravy and grant me the power! but don't let it snow in AP's back yard.....

23" on the way....grease your shovels friends.

It's like Camelot here. The rain and leaves fall strategically onto my garden, providing water and mulch; the squirrels fall strategically out of the trees onto the driveway, providing a laugh.

Reactions: Delta-T
No significant accumulation here according to my forecast.

Nobody gets snowed in more than a day, but they all make a stupid run on the grocery store.
531618_485571661505699_1143963004_n.jpg

Reactions: FrankMA
Model generated totals...These could be low.

post-238-0-26462100-1360169122.png

BUT.....GFS has wind gusts to 70 at Boston. A strong Noreaster.
If you are in eastern MA, get fuel for the generator.

ETA: Caution....high bust potential with this type of storm. (i.e. might not happen) but watch the next 24 hours. If it's still on so many models....polish up that shovel.

You guys in new england get all the fun

When school lets out ill be on the beach in florida with my kids for a month and forget all about woodstoves and snow till next season. Instead ill worry about hurricanes

Looks like webbie is going to need the snowshoes. Ya'll be careful out there. take it slow and easy.

It looks like this next storm will hit the Eastern New England states pretty good if it comes together, they're calling for 6-12 in our area, I'm sure that will change.

From AccuWeather:
When these two storms join forces, a fierce blizzard is expected to unfold across eastern New England from Portland to Boston to Providence.
Blizzard conditions will develop in this corridor Friday afternoon, leading to a nightmare for the evening commute. The worst of the blizzard will then howl Friday night.
Looks like it is going to be all rain here.

Model generated totals...These could be low.

post-238-0-26462100-1360169122.png

BUT.....GFS has wind gusts to 70 at Boston. A strong Noreaster.
If you are in eastern MA, get fuel for the generator.

ETA: Caution....high bust potential with this type of storm. (i.e. might not happen) but watch the next 24 hours. If it's still on so many models....polish up that shovel.

I right smack in that 14-18 zone. I think Ray is too.

I've only used my 2 stage snowblower once in the last 2 years but it looks like it will be getting used this storm. I'm in the 14" - 18" zone as well. Might give the single stage a shot if I can get out there before it gets too deep. I love the light weight and maneuverability that the single stage offers over the 2 stage.

OK, I'll stop cluttering up the thread after this one. Models still holding the storm, but for eastern MA, I think the thing is the strength of the noreaster more than the depth of the snow. Could be an historic storm for Boston.
I'm serious about those gensets boys. One or 2 more runs like this and you should be buying gas and stacking wood:

560127_510991985611059_1862559529_n.png

Reactions: zap
Nobody gets snowed in more than a day, but they all make a stupid run on the grocery store.
531618_485571661505699_1143963004_n.jpg

I can remember getting 9" in one storm followed by 24" a couple days after. Living on a remote road in the Berkshires, I didn't get out for several days. And I should have stayed inside. That's when the Barracuda got a nose job.

OK, I'll stop cluttering up the thread after this one. Models still holding the storm, but for eastern MA, I think the thing is the strength of the noreaster more than the depth of the snow. Could be an historic storm for Boston.
I'm serious about those gensets boys. One or 2 more runs like this and you should be buying gas and stacking wood:
Holy %$&#*+%&$%#%$&%&$#+ I'm at the edge of that tiny 30in circle.

My parents have a picture of me in78 in my snowsuit up to my armpits in the back yard. I think this Saturday I will be able to take the same photo of my twins!

My parents have a picture of me in78 in my snowsuit up to my armpits in the back yard. I think this Saturday I will be able to take the same photo of my twins!
My friend had an old Jeep CJ3B which we stuck in about 2' of snow when the clutch linkage broke during the storm. Had to abandon her and hike home. Cold and tiring.
Picture for the younger folks (his didn't have chrome but the tires are right):
orw706a.gif

A more ordinary one:

OswaldRight.jpg

Our weather guy says you guys in the Northeast could see the worst one since 1977.

Do you have a wind map for the same area? The places I've checked are all over the map.

Sorry Zap, I've been offline for a while.
I find wind hard to model because it does not accumulate. It is here-and-gone. But...

picture2pbt.png

Status
Not open for further replies.