Arctic Blast coming to Northeast next week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad news when 0º and snowy is a warming trend.

Dont see anything lower than 13 overnight in the next 10 days here. 54 forecast for wednesday.

Looks like western PA will be feeling the front edge by next Thurs according to NOAA. But maybe that will be the worst of it. For sure you don't want to see North Dakota's predicted temps.
http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/winds/

Other than This Wed and Thur with lows about -19 They are the same for the next 10 days as Pa has been for the past week. 20 high and 10 over night

Pass. -19 is no picnic.

Here's your arctic blast......

22016_10100233564197474_1246573213_n.jpg

MAN !! Your going to be cooking on Wed, n Thur ;)

Reactions: ScotO and zap
The funny part is you are right after a - 50 streak anything above 0 feels like shorts weather it is pretty crazy. We are sitting at -54 at the house right now ugh! I'm ready for summer !

Reactions: ScotO
I would imagine a house has to be pretty tight and very well insulated to maintain a comfortable temp inside at -49 outside. Even at a 100 deg rise your only at 50 deg inside.

For Wednesday, this is nasty!

Attachments

• 400x266_01292028_lowswednt.jpg
    400x266_01292028_lowswednt.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 185
Been rainy all day and windy. Looks like the cold air is coming back tonight for here.

Reactions: zap
Been rainy all day and windy. Looks like the cold air is coming back tonight for here.
Just started raining here, the winds are picking up a bit but later this evening is when it's suppose to get bad.

Just started raining here, the winds are picking up a bit but later this evening is when it's suppose to get bad.
Yeah it is still raining here we are under a flood watch now.

The funny part is you are right after a - 50 streak anything above 0 feels like shorts weather it is pretty crazy.
I noticed the same thing. After working outside on a couple days in the low 20s with wind, low 30s felt pretty warm. Ain't no -50, I know...had my fill of that kind of weather in WI all those years.
We were warm, then got drenched and winded last night, now it's dropping like a rock. Before I fired up the Fv I opened the lid, pulled the combustor, and dusted it and the screen. Then I loaded some Cherry in front, big split of Persimmon in the middle, Sugar Maple on top in back and a couple Ash splits on the bottom. Experimenting with the Ash in back/bottom to keep it burning a little faster and more completely at the end of the burn.
38 and dropping outside, with wind. 360 and rising on the stove top. ::-)

Had a weird experience today-I had some meetings in Trenton which is right on the Delaware River. You could have walked across it last week the ice was so thick. I was standing outside of a building overlooking the river and it was almost too warm to be wearing a suit jacket, but the river is still clogged with ice jams around the bridges to Pennsylvania. :eek:

I was foggy and rainin' like a sumbeech today after work, talk about goofy weather....

Looks like a big 180 degree turn after this evening, with highs for the wekend in the 20's. Then next week around Tues/Wed, it's supposed to be up in the 40's again. I'm so sick and tired of this roller coaster ride it isn't even funny.....

WHERE IN THE HELL IS WINTER?

I'm so disgusted I really don't think I'm going to do the maple syrup next month. I just don't see any consistent temps, and I ain't doing all that work for a week or two of sugaring.......

I hear ya Scotty... This bouncing around has me wishing to just get it over with and bring on spring.

Reactions: ScotO and raybonz
I was foggy and rainin' like a sumbeech today after work, talk about goofy weather....

Looks like a big 180 degree turn after this evening, with highs for the wekend in the 20's. Then next week around Tues/Wed, it's supposed to be up in the 40's again. I'm so sick and tired of this roller coaster ride it isn't even funny.....

WHERE IN THE HELL IS WINTER?

I'm so disgusted I really don't think I'm going to do the maple syrup next month. I just don't see any consistent temps, and I ain't doing all that work for a week or two of sugaring.......
They say Feb. will have these swings, lots of sleds sitting around this year. We hit close to 60 today, the driveway is a sheet of ice in one section, hope it's down to the gravel by tomorrow afternoon.

They say Feb. will have these swings, lots of sleds sitting around this year. We hit close to 60 today, the driveway is a sheet of ice in one section, hope it's down to the gravel by tomorrow afternoon.
yep it hit 62 here, was 60 yesterday. I'm leaning towards no maple sugaring this year. Just not worth the work if the cold nights aren't gonna be around.

yep it hit 62 here, was 60 yesterday. I'm leaning towards no maple sugaring this year. Just not worth the work if the cold nights aren't gonna be around.
I think last year in this area was a bad year for sugaring, one guy did 30 percent of what he usually does.

It almost 60 right now. Tonight they are calling for 60mph winds, the 50s tomorrow and dipping back to seasonal weather Fri through the weekend, 30s and teens overnight.

I think last year in this area was a bad year for sugaring, one guy did 30 percent of what he usually does.
It was horrible here, as well. I normally do around 6-7 weeks of sugaring on a decent year, last year I barely got three weeks. Had I done it in January, I'd have gotten 6 to 9 weeks! Some guys took the chance and started out early last year and again this year, looks like I may have missed the boat. but being I am not done with the living room, I haven't gotten much wood off of the farm this winter (also the lack of any real snowpack has hindered that as well), as I use the snowmobile/sleigh to get the wood I use in the evaporator.

There's always next year!

Reactions: zap
It almost 60 right now. Tonight they are calling for 60mph winds, the 50s tomorrow and dipping back to seasonal weather Fri through the weekend, 30s and teens overnight.
They called for heavy rain along with the high winds later tonight, so far the heavy rain is southeast of us, the wind is supposed to hit at 4 a.m. then last until 7 p.m.

Covered up the exposed stacks while walking Murphles a while ago. We're gonna get drenched tonight with temps in the 40's tonight here in Icey Hollow.

Brought in firewood to get ahead for the blast coming in tomorrow night. I'll reload over the weekend for next week.

The driveways are a mess. Ruts, holes, tire marks.

Atleast the ice is gone :mad:

Reactions: corey21 and zap
Now the forecast is for 3 inches of snow tomorrow night here.

The front is here the wind is gusting strong and it is trying sleet a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.