Are Dampers Legal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I guess what I am wanting to know will a PE with EBT2 have the same amount of draft through the secondary manifold on a 15' and a 30'?

They can eliminate the different chimney/different draft issue by eliminating chimneys. Then we have big pellet stoves.
Shhh. That’s the elephant in the room. The epa doesn’t care that it takes power to run, makes noise, adds cost, and is failure prone. They want idiot proof low emissions and making a cordwood burning pellet stove hybrid is certainly possible. Look at wood gasification boilers, most now have an exhaust blower. The tech is there.

Reactions: BKVP
Which Woodstock Stove has a bimetallic coil control?
I thought more of the hybrids from Woodstock used bimetallic coils for secondary air but their website should show it and you can always call and ask. Maybe your PH has it. These aren’t user adjustable.

From what I can tell on WS's webstite, only the Absolute Steal has the bimetallic coils.

Reactions: Highbeam
I guess what I am wanting to know will a PE with EBT2 have the same amount of draft through the secondary manifold on a 15' and a 30'?
Maybe, but there is still some primary and boost air feeding the fire. The boost air is unregulated and the primary air can only be closed so far. This means some compensation on a 30' chimney will be likely no matter what the Aussie commercial says. This might be a key damper or blocking off the boost air port.

I hope the VcV works as advertised. It certainly sounds like a good answer that most could live with. I like that its a carburetor that is solving the problem.

I hope the VcV works as advertised. It certainly sounds like a good answer that most could live with. I like that its a carburetor that is solving the problem.
Having built many race motors....I agree!

I'll provide the precise reference as it applies to "use", but it clearly addresses the non commercial owner. The Federal Register categorizes 1) manufacturers 2) commercial owners (dealers, distributors) 3) non commercial owners (end users)

There are very specific references within the text that apply to proper use and conformity with what is published in the manual.

A good illustration, when owner's of OWB, an EPA defined exempt heater prior to 2015, did not install or use them correctly, local regulators were able to take action. Being emissions exempt did not exempt owners from proper installation and use according to the manual.

Of course few enforcement action are generally taken against non commercial owners. It's much easier and focused to seek compliance from manufacturers.

One additional observation. Prior to 2015, Owners & Operators Manuals were not regulated. Now they are reviewed and must be approved by EPA. When the test labs conducts emissions tests, they are to operate the heater per the Owner's & Operators Manual.
I think you misunderstood my point. I don't doubt that modifications to manufacturer's air settings, or operation of a stove in ways that are not in compliance with the owners manual could be a breach of Federal regulations, but while the quoted paragraph claims such actions are unlawful, it does not make them unlawful. Therefore, parsing that paragraph to determine what may or may not be prohibited is pointless.

TE

Interesting quote I found here:

Apparently the Green Mountain 60 (EPA) stove manual DOES explicitly suggest a flue damper for chimneys that are too drafty...

I copy-paste from that post, that seems to have been copied from the manual:
"The recommended minimum chimney height is 14 feet (3 m) off the floor. The recommended maximum chimney height is 30 feet (9m).The Green Mountain 60 requires a draft between 0.08” and 0.15” water column. Ensure your chimney is long enough to provide the minimum draft, and use a damper if your installation has a required chimney height that provides too much draft."

Interesting quote I found here:

Apparently the Green Mountain 60 (EPA) stove manual DOES explicitly suggest a flue damper for chimneys that are too drafty...

I copy-paste from that post, that seems to have been copied from the manual:
"The recommended minimum chimney height is 14 feet (3 m) off the floor. The recommended maximum chimney height is 30 feet (9m).The Green Mountain 60 requires a draft between 0.08” and 0.15” water column. Ensure your chimney is long enough to provide the minimum draft, and use a damper if your installation has a required chimney height that provides too much draft."
There are several manufacturers that do

Sounds like MF Fire has a solution for high draft internal flu restrictors. sounds like it would work like a flu damper but not adjustable while burning.
Removable Bypass Restrictors Nova 2 comes with bypass restrictor plates installed over the bypass. The purpose of the restrictor plates are to limit smoke up the exhaust in high draft installations. To remove or reinstall restrictor plates a socket or adjustable wrench should be used.

Maybe, but there is still some primary and boost air feeding the fire. The boost air is unregulated and the primary air can only be closed so far. This means some compensation on a 30' chimney will be likely no matter what the Aussie commercial says. This might be a key damper or blocking off the boost air port.
Begreen you might be right for certain circumstances, however the EBT system probably resolves the problem of many others and this effortlessly without the owner's intervention. I honestly believe that in 2022 when we can have a space station and satellites all over the atmosphere there should be an adjustment mechanism / system that should be standard on all stoves of every brand to alleviate these situations and this without the need of a power source.