Are Microwaves Green?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm terrible at figuring out these things... my question is: Are microwaves green?

By that I mean, do they save money heating up food vs. other methods of cooking? And yes, I'm sure using wood to cook is a great thing, I'd love to have an Esse, etc. But what I'm really interested in... let's take a can of chili for example. Is it more efficient to heat it up on the stove or with the microwave? Which uses more energy?

-Kevin

Consider that a "normal" microwave uses 1500 watts (thats actually a pretty damn big microwave, but for the sake of comparison...) and can cook your raw baked potato in 10 minutes at 60% power right out of the fridge. In a conventional oven that same process would take about 45 minutes and you can guarantee the oven uses a hell of a lot more than 1500 watts.

I'd say a microwave saves alot of energy versus a conventional oven.

Depends what you're trying to do with it.

Single baked potato? Go with the microwave.

Cooking a turkey? Go with the oven.

Electric ovens are great for cooking large items. It's when you are running that whole oven to cook something small, that you waste energy.

Of course, I prefer a countertop convection oven to a microwave. Microwaving does change the chemical composition of the food in certain ways. There's a debate about whether it might be unhealthy, and I'm not getting into that one, but I do know that I prefer the flavor of non-microwaved food in most cases.

As far as the stove top, that depends what you have for a stove... my next will be an induction cooktop, if they ever come out with a range model - I don't have counter space to waste on a dedicated cooktop with no oven underneath...

Joe

Of course, heating things by putting them on top of your wood stove is even more 'green'. Only way you can beat that is with a solar reflector oven.

Maybe I'll start a business marketing solar ovens:

"Forget microwaves. Cook your food with nuclear energy! Caution - overexposure to radiation from heat source is known to cause cancer."

nofossil said:
"Forget microwaves. Cook your food with nuclear energy! Caution - overexposure to radiation from heat source is known to cause cancer."

Next truck I get will have a slogan painted on it, advertising "nuclear fusion water heaters" with a tag line about how we've installed our millions of miles away, for safety.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.