Are Pellet Stoves UL approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camdids

My Insurance Company (here in good ol MASS.) requires me to fill out a form for my Accentra Insert Installation. One question is If the Stove is UL Approved. I cannot find any reference to Such in the Manual or on the Stove. Is this not required with this type of stove. Maybe its just a Usual Insurance Company Question.

It is my understanding that any device that plugs into the wall has to be UL approved or it must use a UL approved power adapter. If line voltage is going to the circuit board, it must pass UL testing to be legally sold.

Now that is what is required. You would need to check with your manufacturer directly to see if they performed UL testing on the stove.

You can find the UL# in your manual on the inside of the front cover.
It is a replica of the label that is on the back of the stove.

Look for "tested to: ASTM & ULC..."

As Tink said above, it should be in your owners manual. If I were you, make a copy of the page, and give it to your insurance agent to put in your file. If anything ever happened, insurance companies will look for ANY reason to not pay.

I saw that ULC# but wasnt sure as it comes after Tested by O-TL . UL's website states that it would have a statement showing UL Listed or such.

UL is a private lab.....stoves do not have to be UL tested, what they have to be is "tested to UL standards". There is a big difference between the two.

UL publishes the standards. Other approved labs test to those standards. Your Harman is most definitely tested and listed.

Most stoves are tested by Warnock-Hershey
Hence most people say when asked what kind of stove they have they say I have a Warnock-Hershey

some stoves are tested by
OMNI Environmental Services, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.