Are people having issues getting pellets this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, it looks like a big part of the price difference is shipping costs. If you live far from the manufacturing plant, then you pay more. Plus I think the big box stores are charging more because they can. But I get the feeling this winter will be cold in the Northeast, which could create a supply crunch.

Reactions: Shank
So in Mass. I called every place I know of and there are no pellets to be found except HD, Lowes and TSC. They all tell me in Nov. they expect more. Usually I buy in the summer but I was doing work in my basement this year which is where I store the pellets so I waited. Looks like I picked the wrong year to wait. The Green team at Lowe's are pretty good, but right now they're charging $8.70 a bag which I think is way too much for those pellets.

For those that have commented about getting a ton of pellets in the $200 range, good for you. I haven't seen a decent pellet under $300 a ton in Massachusetts for years.

I bought some bags of Green Team pellets at Lowe's back on Oct 3. They were $7.48 a bag and with the 10% military discount I got them for $6.73 a bag. I went back for more bags on Oct 10 and when the clerk rang them up the per bag price was now $8.78, but........ there was a Green Team pallet outside in front that had a sign that showed $7.48 per bag and I told the clerk this. She re-rang it up for the price on the sign plus my military discount. I'm sure shortly after theat sign got removed or changed. Was lucky on that day :)

As others have noted, November seems to be the month when New England pellet dealers are anticipating more pellets and even my own supplier had said this. Anyone know why November seems to be the key month that pellets might be restocked?

I bought some bags of Green Team pellets at Lowe's back on Oct 3. They were $7.48 a bag and with the 10% military discount I got them for $6.73 a bag. I went back for more bags on Oct 10 and when the clerk rang them up the per bag price was now $8.78, but........ there was a Green Team pallet outside in front that had a sign that showed $7.48 per bag and I told the clerk this. She re-rang it up for the price on the sign plus my military discount. I'm sure shortly after theat sign got removed or changed. Was lucky on that day :)

As others have noted, November seems to be the month when New England pellet dealers are anticipating more pellets and even my own supplier had said this. Anyone know why November seems to be the key month that pellets might be restocked?

For the big box stores, I guess it is space. August, September and October they are still selling garden stuff that take up a lot of space in the garden center, like mulch. Once those get cleared, there is space for pellets. Only a guess.

My local dealers are sold out right now and they are charging something between $400 and $500 for the ton.

Lowes has something that looks generic but when you click on the link it says "still river pellets"
Selling for $6.48 per bag. I see they have over 3000 bags in stock currently.
Item #87059

Model #868557000016

$324.50 per ton at that point.

I went to Lowes last night and all they had was some pellets called Maines Wood which was a clear bag and had just as much sawdust in it as pellets so I passed. They also had Green Team which is a good pellet and usable but they're now charging $8.78 a bag, they are not worth that price but.... I guess there worth whatever people will pay, and I might have to pay it. I've been told the same thing that November is the month, but one place told me there are 80 people in line ahead of me when the shipment is received.

I am bitter that people can get a decent pellet in other states for under $250 a ton. In Mass. you can't find good or bad pellets for under $320 a ton. The only place that has pellets right not want $454 a ton, plus $90 for delivery - I don't have a way to pick them up.

1666293944995.png

I went to Lowes last night and all they had was some pellets called Maines Wood which was a clear bag and had just as much sawdust in it as pellets so I passed. They also had Green Team which is a good pellet and usable but they're now charging $8.78 a bag, they are not worth that price but.... I guess there worth whatever people will pay, and I might have to pay it. I've been told the same thing that November is the month, but one place told me there are 80 people in line ahead of me when the shipment is received.

I am bitter that people can get a decent pellet in other states for under $250 a ton. In Mass. you can't find good or bad pellets for under $320 a ton. The only place that has pellets right not want $454 a ton, plus $90 for delivery - I don't have a way to pick them up.

View attachment 300999
Not sure where you are in MA, but a quick search at Lowes:
E. Springfield - $6.58 a bag
Newington, same.
Arbington, same.
Danvers, same.
Hadley, same.

The reviews are not the best on the pellets though, and it seems it is a mixed bag of what you get from lowes. AND, worse, the geniuses at Lowes store their stuff outside where you are never supposed to. It's funny that a store that sells hardware,lumber,building materials, lawn and garden equipment, stoves and pellets - knows NOTHING about the items they are selling.

I'm east of there, all those locations are 40 min to 1 hr away. Aside from from that some do have pellets but it's the Maines Woods which is a terrible pellet. Or the $9 bag pellet

I'm east of there, all those locations are 40 min to 1 hr away. Aside from from that some do have pellets but it's the Maines Woods which is a terrible pellet. Or the $9 bag pellet
Everything is 40 - 60 minutes away from me so, to me that's no biggy. Id even consider running out somewhere, grab some lunch and try a bag of what they have before committing to a full ton.

My local ace hardware (not sure if you have that in your area) HAD pellets last week but I just looked and they want $9 dollars a bag....but the bag is only 20 pounds! That's INSANE! Id sooner risk the lowes crap before spending that kinda money...or just plug in a space heater into the closet and live in there.

I was originally going to go with a pellet stove. Seemed like a no brainer to me. Then covid kinda changed my mind.

Reactions: VintageGal
Here in Central OH I got Somersets for $225/ton and plenty of supply
Wow, I paid $275/ton for Somersets in metro Cincinnati.

Are you mocking me now?! LOL
A little, but also starting to worry about prices going up in my area.

Thinking about stock piling.

Already got half a hog, 80lbs of chicken breasts and 24lbs of beef Pattie’s in the deep freeze. Also on the list for half a cow in January.

The TSC near me (across the river in SW NH) has bags at $6.19, which are usually white labelled New England Wood Pellets (acquired by Lignetics) from their Jaffrey, NH mill here. A newspaper article a couple of weeks ago quoted management of that plant saying they weren't running their normal 24/7 schedule because of a shortage of workers. The TSC still has plenty at that price, but it'll be curious to see if they have them through the season. The local hardware stores are more like $8 to $9 a bag, and low in stock.

View attachment 300999

Douglas Fir pellets have the highest shipping costs to the northeast. The Northern Warmth Supreme douglas fir pellets are about $500/ton locally. The ones I have I bought 2 years ago, save them for real cold spells which we haven't had any around here for a couple years.

sam

View attachment 300999

Maine Wood Pellets are a nice middle of the road pellet. That is normally my go-to pellet as it is a good value and my local TSC usally sells them in their TSC bags (at my store). No they won't compete with DF's, but they are less ashy than GS, give decent heat and are on the low end for prices.

If it is "Maine's Best" - now that is a different story. I've burned worse pellets than MB, but not many.

Yep, those are the MWPs that I like for value, which I burn the most of. They can be a little dusty, but no more so than GS or most other blend pellets. I would guess there was a handling issue at your BBS if the bags were 1/2 sawdust.

Yep, those are the MWPs that I like for value, which I burn the most of. They can be a little dusty, but no more so than GS or most other blend pellets. I would guess there was a handling issue at your BBS if the bags were 1/2 sawdust.
Maybe I'll try them. I should have taken a picture. When you turn the bags over, there is a layer of dust across the entire bag. Because of this I didn't grab any. I'll try a few bags and see how it goes

Maine Woods pellets are one of the better pellets available in my area.When I see them I usually buy them.For the price they can't be beat right now.

Reactions: bogieb
I start pellet thinking and shopping in late August. By October, I'm usually stocked up. My favorites (Hamer's Hot Ones) were $6 a bag this year, two tons delivered ... and stacked @ $15 extra.

Last year they were $5 a bag in pallets. No complaints, I expected a bigger increase. Delivery in years past was a $10 per pallet fee, but this year the $15 covered whatever was brought on one truck. Two guys, was done fast and neat.

The place I've been buying pellets from for the last 3-4 years, Super 1 grocery, has a lot less inventory than last year. North Idaho Energy Logs (Doug Fir) is my preferred pellet, and they are a top supplier. It's snowing and single digits today, but I'm headed out to pick up a ton. What really sucks is that they won't operate the forklift with snow on the ground so I'll grab a minion and load a ton by hand. What really, really sucks is that the cost went up $50 a ton from last year. They cost $275 a ton now.

I get pellets from the local hardware store - Barefoot brand. Last year's regular price was $260 or $265 per ton. This year that was their discounted summer price, so I bought 2 tons to go with the 3/4 ton I had leftover from last year. This fall the price was $289 per ton. A couple weeks ago they said they had pellets, but it was a 20 bag limit. I didn't ask for a price.

Reactions: vinny11950