Are people having issues getting pellets this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bought 4 ton of regular Lignetics in the middle of October for 268.00 a ton I believe. Dave Wendell and Sons Wood Pellets and Coal out here in Concord NY. Not shortly after I bought my pellets from them, I was at my local Lowes and saw Green supreme for 8.67 a bag !!!!!!

I have been finding them at hardware stores in the Littleton/Townsend MA area. Lignetics Green Supreme or Lignetics MWP. Both $350-$360. Did Okies last 2 years but didn’t find them until after I bought these Lignetics. Similar prices too.

989FFA02-EEA2-4D36-A778-F61A09F4A88F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
So in Mass. I called every place I know of and there are no pellets to be found except HD, Lowes and TSC. They all tell me in Nov. they expect more. Usually I buy in the summer but I was doing work in my basement this year which is where I store the pellets so I waited. Looks like I picked the wrong year to wait. The Green team at Lowe's are pretty good, but right now they're charging $8.70 a bag which I think is way too much for those pellets.

For those that have commented about getting a ton of pellets in the $200 range, good for you. I haven't seen a decent pellet under $300 a ton in Massachusetts for years.
I had the same issue in MA and only bought a few bags at a local hardware store. Now I see they are everywhere 🤪

Whatever the local TSC is selling (as hardwood pellets in their own bags) in SW NH, it burns with no clinkers and not much ash. And they've stocked up heavily -- although I'll be surprised if they're able to stay stocked through to spring. Bumped from $6.19 to $6.29 a bag a few weeks ago (or 20 cents off by the tun). The local hardware stores are around $8 -- for stuff that's no better.

Whatever the local TSC is selling (as hardwood pellets in their own bags) in SW NH, it burns with no clinkers and not much ash. And they've stocked up heavily -- although I'll be surprised if they're able to stay stocked through to spring. Bumped from $6.19 to $6.29 a bag a few weeks ago (or 20 cents off by the tun). The local hardware stores are around $8 -- for stuff that's no better.

What is the UPC code (all 12 numbers)? You may be able to look up those TSC's.

Reactions: scajjr2
The barcode has a 10 digit number with it. That lookup site won't take 10, just 8, 12 or 13.

52453 00306

The barcode has a 10 digit number with it. That lookup site won't take 10, just 8, 12 or 13.

52453 00306
There is a number way to the left and another way to the right, those are part of the code.

Lowes has something that looks generic but when you click on the link it says "still river pellets"
Selling for $6.48 per bag. I see they have over 3000 bags in stock currently.
Item #87059

Model #868557000016

$324.50 per ton at that point.
I bought a few bags to try. Not a bad pellet, although reading some reviews I see some hate them.

I just purchased my winter supply (4 tons) from Menards. Had these made by American Wood Fibers and Somersets. I have used these before in the past with pretty good success.
IMG_8675.jpeg

Has anyone had experience with Somerset pellets. They are in a black bag?

They were on sale for $5.58 plus the 11% rebate. Came to $4.97 a bag ($249 a ton)

I just purchased my winter supply (4 tons) from Menards. Had these made by American Wood Fibers and Somersets. I have used these before in the past with pretty good success.
View attachment 316130

Has anyone had experience with Somerset pellets. They are in a black bag?

They were on sale for $5.58 plus the 11% rebate. Came to $4.97 a bag ($249 a ton)
Yes, been burning Somerset pellets for years. They are a very good pellet. What is great about these pellets is that their feedstock comes from their hardwood flooring plant. Therefore, their raw material is very consistent.

I highly recommend them. I paid $290/ton here in Cincinnati for them.

Yes, been burning Somerset pellets for years. They are a very good pellet. What is great about these pellets is that their feedstock comes from their hardwood flooring plant. Therefore, their raw material is very consistent.

I highly recommend them. I paid $290/ton here in Cincinnati for them.
Good to hear. I just picked up a pallet of the Somersets. My plan is to get the other 2 pallets of Somersets too.

Reactions: ABusWrench
You can't go wrong with Somersets! Very good middle of the road hardwood. Have been very consistent over the years.

Reactions: Jeremy6500