Are resources running out for a green power transition?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Given the energy sanctions on Russia after they invaded Ukraine, China could reasonably expect similar sanctions on their imports should they invade Taiwan. They are just trying to survive. I don’t think they mind cleaner air, but I don’t think it’s their priority.

I get that you ascribe their renewable push to ulterior motives. But it began years before Russia did its thing, and while Xi was still the Belle of the Ball.

Ofc we don't need to imagine... we can just read the imperialistic propaganda being fed to the Chinese populace. Its very anti-american and movies about repelling american invasions (historical or fictional) are very popular.

Are you saying that republican states won't allow new mining operations and battery factories to be built on their soil?
Didn't Younkin in Virginia just do this and they are now going to Michigan with the plant?

Consumers are, and will continue to in growing numbers, want products produced in a green supply chain. Corporations want to say they are green.

China added the entire annual usage of Austrian in solar and wind. They have economic growth targets. I don’t think the economics of pollution are completely ignorable. After the Beijing Olympics it appeared to this American that there was a realization of what poor air quality could cost.

They need to sell the developed world, Apple, Tesla and others need a verified supply chain, which includes green power.
Didn't Younkin in Virginia just do this and they are now going to Michigan with the plant?
I’m quite certain (as are others it’s been in the media for a weeks now) that VA was not going to get the the new battery plat and he knew it. So his comments were a way to score some points with some with few negative ramifications.

Reactions: woodgeek
I get that you ascribe their renewable push to ulterior motives. But it began years before Russia did its thing, and while Xi was still the Belle of the Ball.

Ofc we don't need to imagine... we can just read the imperialistic propaganda being fed to the Chinese populace. Its very anti-american and movies about repelling american invasions (historical or fictional) are very popular.

I think they've always realized their energy vulnerability. They just haven't had a way around it. Really, their rise to a position of influence happened really quickly. When did it really start rolling? Early 90s? That isn't a lot of time to get on top of issues that keep getting bigger, like energy needs.
They've strip mined all of their coal out, dammed their rivers for hydroelectric, and now are trying renewables.

Currently their oil has to pass through the Straight of Hormuz and the Strait of Malacca. If the Saudis and Iranians don't start shooting at each other and close the strait, it then has to pass by India, who they don't have great relations with, and then goes through another pinch point controlled by Malaya, who isn't cuddly with them either due to territorial disputes. It looks like they're building/built a few pipelines to try to get around the sea routes. I can't blame them. Notice how the Chinese Navy doesn't extend too far away from China. I've read that while they have a lot of ships, they don't have a lot of range. I imagine they either were super focused on being able to get to Taiwan, or figured that other countries would keep the sea lanes safe for them.

Re their propaganda, I think China hates everybody, but is willing to sell them coffee makers so they can pay for their interests.

653c539f3fbc9b3bbf89508f5d321d51.jpg 1_aw86-Ye1CPCvMwtoRlJyFQ.jpeg

Back on the point of China's switch to renewables, their pace and accomplishments are hard to fathom against our heel-dragging. They are building out at a rate that would supply all of some major nations' energy needs.
View attachment 310039

When added up. their total renewable power generation capacity is already stunning and this does not include hydro.
View attachment 310040
And look what we added.

Reactions: begreen
I have not bought a new cpu since…. 2011 (AMD phenom X4 baby. Drop in upgrade to a system that was 5 years old;) ) I have something like ivy bridge era systems. Still chugging along..
I'm still running my GTX970 rig from 2014. It could go at any minute but it doesn't owe me anything at this point.

unknown-3.png

Reactions: EbS-P