Are there disadvantages to using heat shields, when you don't need them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

teg

This question is only for wood stoves that DON'T HAVE to use heat shields for insulation. I have rock walls on 2 sides and 5 foot clearance on the other side. Would my house heat up faster without the heat shields or does the same amount of heat given off the stove go straight up into the room? (Am I losing any extra heat up the chimney)

I have a Buck Stove, 81 with heat shields (thought it would be safer for our dog). Yes, I'm new to wood stoves. Our dog has passed away so I'm debating about removing the heat shields. If removing the shields allows the stove to heat the house better, I'll do it. If it does not change anything, I leave them on.

My guess is removing them would allow the 2 rock walls to absorb radiant heat and store it for released later on but that does not change the amount of heat the stove produces.

This question is only for wood stoves that DON'T HAVE to use heat shields for insulation. I have rock walls on 2 sides and 5 foot clearance on the other side. Would my house heat up faster without the heat shields or does the same amount of heat given off the stove go straight up into the room? (Am I losing any extra heat up the chimney)

I have a Buck Stove, 81 with heat shields (thought it would be safer for our dog). Yes, I'm new to wood stoves. Our dog has passed away so I'm debating about removing the heat shields. If removing the shields allows the stove to heat the house better, I'll do it. If it does not change anything, I leave them on.

My guess is removing them would allow the 2 rock walls to absorb radiant heat and store it for released later on but that does not change the amount of heat the stove produces.
The difference is without heat sheilds you will get more radiant heat. With them you will get more convective heat. If those stone walls are uninsulated and open to outside you don't want to be pumping lots of radiant heat into them.

The 2 rock walls are inside walls, stairs going down into the basement, which would not be a bad thing. I'm going to remove just one side and see how it goes.
Are there combustibles behind the stone?

Are there combustibles behind the stone?
I just looked up "is drywall combustible?" I would not have list it as being so... I guess that might be a hot topic on this forum? (pun intended - which I'm sure is used a lot on this board, sorry, I couldn't stop myself).

So the (FAKE) stone along with the cement adhesive is 2 to 2 1/4" thick. The stove is 19" from the edge of the stone. The rear of the stove, I plan to leave the heat shield on since it's only 13" away from the wall.

I've tried a few times to upload a photo but nothing happen when I click on "Upload a File" - I assume I need to post a certain number of times before being able to post a photo?

So, I removed the left side heat shield that has 5' clearance. Heat coming off is noticeable and I could see where it *could* heat more air.

P1100205.jpg

It won't heat more air so much as it will heat objects that receive the radiant heat.

I've tried a few times to upload a photo but nothing happen when I click on "Upload a File" - I assume I need to post a certain number of times before being able to post a photo?
Got the wrong reply attached.