Are these Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Apologize for the photos but still learning to use this camera. There are nuts and shells all over the place(I should have taken pics of those but forgot to). Owner wants the trees down because he's tired of cleaning up the nuts. They are fairly tall but not very large diameter which suits me fine! I was expecting something a bit more shaggy bark?

Attachments

• Are these Hickory?
    trees.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 361
  • Are these Hickory?
    tree bark 2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 357
  • Are these Hickory?
    tree bark.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 376
Could be pig nut hickory (almost a perfect round nut with a thin husk around the nut, nut has a bitter taste compared to shag bark).
Good fire wood either way.

bogydave said:
Could be pig nut hickory (almost a perfect round nut with a thin husk around the nut, nut has a bitter taste compared to shag bark).
X2

I don't recognize the type of tree, but it doesn't look like hickory to me. However, if the trees produce nuts then hickory is a good guess. They aren't Black Walnut or Butternut, so that leaves hickory.

webby3650 said:
bogydave said:
X2
Bark has Pignut-type characteristics, most evident in the last pic. Go nuts on that stuff! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.