are you all ready for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
I know probably wants to think about winter yet. I have 7 cords that were cut last year all split and stacked in the shed. Ive managed to collect about 10 cords of green ash for next year that has to be split. the TW-5 will make short work of that this fall

I got 5 cords of red and white oak for the cold weather and two cords of cool evening wood beach and poplar. I hope that will be enough cause the green oak will not be ready till next year.
Mike

I'd say, at the risk of being called a stereotyper, that pretty much everyone who participates on this forum is thinking about next Winter, and spending some of the Summer preparing for it. Am I ready for Winter to begin tomorrow? No, I'm not. Will I be ready when Winter arrives? I'm going to do the very best I can to be. Seems to me that for woodburners, Summer's exactly the time to be thinking about Winter. Rick

I'm thinking about college football season (while splitting oak and ash today for a future winter.)

Don't want winter. In no hurry for winter. But, I just sat down with a fresh off the grill T-bone for dinner right in the middle of the wood stacks.

I have 6 plus cords that will be good to go this winter with 6 plus more set for winter 09 - 10. Went down to the land and scarfed up another cord this weekend. It seems a lot easier to get and process when I am not running for it like the last 3 yrs. My wife thinks I am crazy to be collecting wood while her and the kids are playing in the pool but I am just drawn to it.
Every time I spin down to the land I find myself sizing up my next victim, I have almost got where I can look at a tree and say "oh there is about X amount of wood in that one and if I just take that one too I would have X amount more etc etc". It is a vicious cycle. I am trurly addicted though.

About 8 cords split. Another 2 cords not split yet and yet another 10-15 cords that I plan to get by the end of summer. If that doesn't put me 2 years ahead then there is always the swingset, deck, pergola, shed and picnic tables. It was a slow start this year because of a wet spring but I'm finally getting a good start and it's starting to look a bit impressive. With craigslist, and a local veneer company that charges $30.00 per 16' trailer I have a total of $90.00 invested in just the firewood. In reality i should include gas and wear and tear on the vehicles, but it is a company owned vehicle so gas and repairs are paid for.

I am never ready for winter but it just happens anyway. We just got summer weather so not so fast. :)

As far as wood is concerned I do have a few years ahead so in good shape in that respect. We went several years using the furnace. We got tired of processing, burning , and the extra work involved in wood heat over the past 30+ years. With rising propane costs it is time to go back to wood heat and all the work involved. Actually the wood gathering this spring has been fun and great exercise so the few years break was good for us.

are you all ready for winter

Really beautiful picture Carl !
going to swap out my picture of the Northern Lights and use that one for my Desktop !
Where was it taken ?

O yea- as of today, one tractor load- about 60 logs done.
One to go- should be done July 15th. Plus all I had left over from last year-
I'm OFFICALLY 2 years ahead !

Yeah, Carl; that is a nice shot. Something you took?

The weather here has cooled down into the 80's and I have managed to split up all of the wood for next year that's been sitting around since last year. I am working on next years wood right now, but it's hard to get excited about splitting when it's 80 degrees. Gotta keep plugging away though. I kinda ran out about march and would have liked another cord or so...

Sorry to say I'm waiting on hurricane season for next years firewood.

Chris

Wildsourdough said:
Really beautiful picture Carl !
going to swap out my picture of the Northern Lights and use that one for my Desktop !
Where was it taken ?

Thanks Wildsourdough and Redox. I took that picture 2 years ago on my mail route in Sharon. Way out in the Whap whaps. I think it depicts winter nicely. Enjoy it for your desktop if you like. My mailroute is 124 miles 5 days a week no matter what the weather. :)

Brother Bart my g friend thinks I am crazy b/c I eat next to my wood pile sometimes! I tell her I am with good company, and that there is no one else intelligent to talk to ........................ that comments never goes over good though! :lol:

Since I only need around three cord to heat my place....I'm almost ready. I've got two cord of fully seasoned red oak stacked and ready to rip. Want to get two more cord and I'll more than good to go.

I have 4 cord I split this weekend, 1/3 cord dry last year, still looking for seasoned wood for this year.

Am I ready for winter? NO.

Am I prepared for winter? Yes

21 cords cut, split and stacked.

I believe in doing the wood work in the cold months. Usually start in November and done in April.

Bahh....the heat just helps you sweat out all that poison that's in your system!!

That last round of storms a couple weeks or so ago caused a lot of damage. I've been picking up loads of wood in your area for a week!

Oh...to stay on topic...I'm about ready for winter as I have about 4 cords on deck. Mostly from Baltimore Co...hun...lol

Redox said:

The weather here has cooled down into the 80's and I have managed to split up all of the wood for next year that's been sitting around since last year. I am working on next years wood right now, but it's hard to get excited about splitting when it's 80 degrees. Gotta keep plugging away though. I kinda ran out about march and would have liked another cord or so...

Chris

Ready for winter??? I am still gathering. All the stuff I am getting now is red oak and no way will be ready!!! Gonna hit the pile this weekend and trim the stuff that is too long that was stacked for the old stove. I will probably end up a little short and rushing wood at the end of the season. Next years supply is looking better and better as I have a start on it as soon as I start splitting!!!

no not at the moment. I am still playing squirrel. Wood not all done yet. Chimney/stove not cleaned out yet. insulating projects not started yet. way behind

The good news is that every year is a little better!!! I end up sealing gaps, insulating, more new windows...more toys for firewood!!!!

YUPPERS!

jabush said:
Bahh....the heat just helps you sweat out all that poison that's in your system!!

That last round of storms a couple weeks or so ago caused a lot of damage. I've been picking up loads of wood in your area for a week!

Oh...to stay on topic...I'm about ready for winter as I have about 4 cords on deck. Mostly from Baltimore Co...hun...lol

Redox said:

Chris

So that was you! We got clobbered here. Something about a microburst that knocked out our power for almost 48 hours. I think we were the hardest hit as I saw several houses with tree damage and I know one that was even condemned. I saw a 3 foot diameter oak that wiped out a garage and fell right across some guy's pickup. I REALLY wanted that oak, but I hesitate to get involved in an insurance case...

Chris

I may have very close to 2 years cut and split still have about 25 logs I what to work up up sometime this summer. Hopefully this fall I'll cut down and limb 25 or so trees to stage up for the future.

I would contact his ins agent and get a letter stating that it is ok to remove the tree

Status
Not open for further replies.