Are you ready for summer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
I alway at this time of year am kind of bored,tired of dealing with heating with wood and look forward to not having to heat anymore. In kow this very line could get me kicked out of here LOL.

By next fall I will be a ready and looking forward to starting the stove up again but I am ready to lay down the welding glove and the ash pan about this time year it always seems.

We of course will still be heating for the next month on wood and then every two days and then maybe once a week, blah blah blah hey why is the A/C not cold. Is the compressor turning on?

We're definitely ready around here. Of course, summer will still bring plenty of wood related activities with splitting/collecting for the following winter. I've got what I need now for next winter, so I'll be collecting for 2 winters out now. We had our stove off for 2 days here when it was in the mid-50s and the house was nice and quiet again with no fans running 24x7. Of course this is our first year, so I was hoping I wasn't the only one who wouldn't miss bringing wood in the house 3 times a day...

Eric

Yep. Time to have a little spring time before I start wishing the A/C would run on wood. Since last summer was spent putting in new stoves and lining chimneys as well as cutting and splitting, I have been about as entertained by wood burning for this year as I care to be.

yes,i'll admit it also. after lugging 4 cords up the steps and into the house, i'm ready for a break.

Had enough with the cold and the stove...
Hell yeah I'm ready. Looking forward to getting
out on the scoot with warm breezes in my face.

Ohh yea, im sick of winter. I dont have AC, so all summer is for me is cheap bills and no stove to keep going.

I'm ready too. The first year of burning for heat has been a great one! It has been fun experimenting and learning and the low electric bills are great, but it's time to warm things up and get back to riding.

It's going to be below zero here for the next couple of days, so I'm still psyched about saving money and staying warm with wood heat.

Installing a new boiler this summer, so I'm pretty excited about that. That and cutting a lot more wood. I really can't wait to get back out in the woods.

Plus, after that warm first half of the winter, I've still got some X-C skiing to catch up on.

In short, bring it on, baby!

I'm out of wood, so I am definitely ready for warmer temps. $40 gas bills until I got low on wood. Last gas bill was $293. I burned 5 1/2 cords in a mostly mild winter in my pre-epa furnace. I need to upgrade.

HI Pistonslap,
Yes, you need ot upgrade big time. You would have had half you wood pile left if you had had an EPA approved stove. Better yet, you would have used only 4 splits if you had a PE summit!!!!!

Carpniels

PS. I am ready too. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can go out and cut. My neighbor gave me an 80ft+ about 24" across hardwood tree that I can cut up (it is on its side right now) and have all the wood I want. I love my neighbors!!!!!

Cabin fever hit hard this past weekend. I'm ready to get out on the water and do some fishing in my short sleeves.

wahoowad said:
Cabin fever hit hard this past weekend. I'm ready to get out on the water and do some fishing in my short sleeves.

i second that. one month til trout season and 2.5 for striper season.

I am ready to be done too. Not so much worn out with the burning but tired of worrying about running low on wood. We went to the ocean for a little vacation this weekend and my 4 year old girl begged and begged until we lit a 2 hour wax log in the fireplace at the hotel. She watched the log and told me it wasn't as good as the fire at home. Classic.

Once things dry up it's time for the tractor! Skidding logs out for firewood and all kinds of dirt stirring.

YES ! Ready for warmer weather. Looking foward to the garden and hanging outside , BBQ 3-4 times a week and a lot of outside get togethers.

The wood stove dont stop in warmer weather , ya just shift gears and change what you do , felling and bucking trees , loading and hauling , splitting and stacking ..........

lots of warmer weather bond fires outside , lots of thick juicy steaks and cold brews.

More than ready. With the wind it is -41C here today (-41.8F). North of here in the native community of Attawapiskat it is expected to hit -50C or -58F. There is a new diamond mine that has been found near there and I've got friends working there. Ought to be fun keeping the heavy equipment running. Diesel turns to jelly at those temps.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/alerts/warnings.htm?region=WWCAON0003

Am I ready for summer??? here is a pic from a few days ago.
Im ready to get started on the garden!

Attachments

• IMG_0204_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0204_1_1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 264
Out here I can usually start planting some stuff by the end of Apr and most every thing else by the end of May. In a few more weeks Ill get some seeds started in the cold frame.

one thing i love about summer, is you can hear the creek again, and the cool summer nights. Its hard not to sleep well when its 50* outside, your windows are open, and you can hear water. As far a beer and bbq, thats a year round even for me :) the only difference is you can leave your beer outside while you cook and it wont freeze.
you guys are giving me spring fever, and we are just to far away yet to get too excited.

wahoowad said:

Wahoo, it was in the 70's this past Saturday. Your not that far away from me!

Wuddya waiting for, 85 percent humidity?

Willhound said:
nshif said:
Am I ready for summer??? here is a pic from a few days ago.
Im ready to get started on the garden!

Me too. We usually plant around mid to 3d week of June.

Whoa. We are putting in the Spring garden this weekend!

(Radish, lettuce, brocolli, cauliflower, etc)

SCFA said:
wahoowad said:

i second that. one month til trout season and 2.5 for striper season.

You should have seen the waterman pull up to the marina last week in his 238 Carolina Skiff. The Striper's were about a foot deep in his boat.

He put them all in his pick up bed, and it went almost to the top. He said it was about 1500lbs.

Gil Netter.

(Ya think he would have offered me one damn fish)

More........give me more.......more cold........snow........hey, we have not had any snow at all this year, maybe half an inch or so.

So I want more winter............give me frozen crunchy snow on my decks, walk ways and driveway, dog bowl frozen over, pond frozen etc.

We have had a month or so of coldish (25 and above) nights and 50 to 60 in the day..........this is not winter to me.

Here in Tenn. we used to have at least 3 or 4 decent snows each winter with some near 10 degree temps sometime.........not had this in years.

Wished I lived where the snow was deep and the.................buffalo roamed. :)

Robbie

Then Robbie if you weren't stepping in one thing you would be stepping in another. %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.