2nd Company out to home says do not get wood burner but gas or propane instead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There's always bio bricks that can be used in a wood stove. Not as heavy to carry and easier to store. We bought some this winter to try out. I've only thrown a few in with our wood. We are in our mid 50's right now so still able to carry wood, split it etc. I figure if we ever get to the point we can't do that we can use bio bricks.

What about a pellet stove? Have you looked into that? My neighbor put in a pellet stove. He and his wife are in there upper 70's and didn't want to deal with wood. I don't know much about pellet stoves but I thought my neighbor mentioned you can set a temp on it???? Only problem with that is it requires electricity. My neighbor said he would run a line from his RV to run the stove if there were to be a power outage.

Was reading up on pellet stoves but the elec issue wouldn’t work really when I need it most….unless it could run off an ecoflow battery charger….pondering a lot aren’t I ? Reading a plethora on gas stoves/ propane….I would want a small well raised hearth so I can see the controls to add and change batteries needed for operation in an outage and other maintenance so not needing to hit the floor to fix stuff ….I’d be stuck on the ground lol! I will look at those bricks online….love the idea! Thank you!

Again, there are gas stoves/fireplaces that do NOT need electricity to run.

Reactions: Slocochef
Was watching Jotul videos about installing the AA BATTERIES needed for power outs…..learning a lot…. Best stove brand for this occasional use application am unsure about….but will see the propane people Monday…they are right here in town…. Seems there should be a clear fav for ease and reliability that can be easy running when outage hits….don’t wanna be monkeyin around too much in the dark to do things different without electricity in a storm to keep it functional….the propane 120 size tanks are not looking as bad as I thought….but again getting comfortable with the stove lines, hookup, shut offs, on and off, batteries if needed needs study by me! Thank you!

One nice thing about gas is you can add additional heaters in other areas of the home. A wall mounted heater in a bathroom is nice and will help keep pipes from freezing if you lost power.

Was watching Jotul videos about installing the AA BATTERIES needed for power outs…..learning a lot…. Best stove brand for this occasional use application am unsure about….but will see the propane people Monday…they are right here in town…. Seems there should be a clear fav for ease and reliability that can be easy running when outage hits….don’t wanna be monkeyin around too much in the dark to do things different without electricity in a storm to keep it functional….the propane 120 size tanks are not looking as bad as I thought….but again getting comfortable with the stove lines, hookup, shut offs, on and off, batteries if needed needs study by me! Thank you!
And beware of the rental contracts for that tank. Putting in a nat. gas line may turn out less expensive over a few years.

One nice thing about gas is you can add additional heaters in other areas of the home. A wall mounted heater in a bathroom is nice and will help keep pipes from freezing if you lost power.
Interesting….will call the energy co on Monday to see cost of nat gas to home in 2023! 😊 thx

Thanks to all who contributed to solving my dilemma here…… my heart is with wood as many reflect on our huge upticks in weather disasters and understand there’s almost always wood to be had in any calamity if you use your community for information and resources….. I do see great value in propane use also for sure….don’t know the great brands for those stoves yet though…. It will work out here eventually….. Looking at wood or wood like window blinds to neaten the room….and help insulate a bit…. Goal is to get this done one way or another very soon….I dislike carpet so much….but this one room is the only room with it….. can use it up and when it gets too trashed looking buy new flooring or change out rugs for a better look. Not afraid of dirt with pets and Michigan in general….if it’s not snow it’s mud!

Reactions: VintageGal
A small wood stove in this room will run about $5-6,000. Most of that will be for the flue system install.

I can’t wait to see what estimate the guy wanting propane is going to furnish….what exactly is he calculating…..he said it would just be vented right thru wall outdoors without the need to go through roofs and ceilings etc…. Wonder if it’s considerably less than that of the wood stove install estimate given by the guy in town…..maybe it’s all a wash…. Will definitely check back in and share my decision….hoping soon….there’s one more store left in my area that’s 1.5 hours away…..will go there too…maybe share pics and see what brands they carry. Supposedly the smaller 120 propane tanks can be right close to the house without permits and all the rest needed for bigger tanks…. Hope it’s a productive week getting this sorted out once and for all! Thank you for your following and advising!

Being able to avoid chimney costs will save thousands on the install cost. Chimneys aren't cheap. You'll have to do some math to decide if the back end reoccurring costs put propane ahead.

100lb and 120 gallon propane tanks are right beside the houses. Most people who have the 120 gallon tanks have 2. I'm not sure I've ever seen 3 of them together. That may be due to code, tank cost, or even volume they expect to use in cold weather. Sometimes btu demand can outstrip the evaporation potential of the tall, thin tanks. That probably wouldn't happen with just the stove on it, but if you start switching other appliances too, it may happen in the coldest weather. The 120 gallon tanks will need to be refilled more often than larger tanks. Its fairly simple to calculate how many hours a tank will last once tou have the tank size and stove output.

If you go propane keep in mind that a 120 gallon propane tank doesn’t actually get filled with 120 gallons.

Yes. Ibelieve its around 100 gallons.

Yes. Ibelieve its around 100 gallons.
Tanks filled to 80%, need the room for the gas to expand in warmer weather.

We have no utilities available at our place. We heat with wood and have a 500-gal propane tank I bought years ago. I only have it filled in summertime, and we really don't use that much. Just cooking for the countertop burners. In our situation, I insist on being home when the truck delivers, open the gate and so forth. I only have to top off every few years, so no big deal.

In your case, with natural gas available, I'd go with that. Besides no delivery, no rental/lease on a tank, you could also, if you wanted, plumb a line to an outdoor grill. A buddy did that, and no gas bottles to haul somewhere to fill, no running out of gas in the middle of a cooking session. Very slick. Of course, one can do this with propane as well.

But anyway, the very simplest and care-free path is run that nat gas line and be done with it.

Tanks filled to 80%, need the room for the gas to expand in warmer weather.

We have no utilities available at our place. We heat with wood and have a 500-gal propane tank I bought years ago. I only have it filled in summertime, and we really don't use that much. Just cooking for the countertop burners. In our situation, I insist on being home when the truck delivers, open the gate and so forth. I only have to top off every few years, so no big deal.

In your case, with natural gas available, I'd go with that. Besides no delivery, no rental/lease on a tank, you could also, if you wanted, plumb a line to an outdoor grill. A buddy did that, and no gas bottles to haul somewhere to fill, no running out of gas in the middle of a cooking session. Very slick. Of course, one can do this with propane as well.

But anyway, the very simplest and care-free path is run that nat gas line and be done with it.
I will call the energy people tomorrow and see what cost is…..how long till I can get on schedule etc…. If I went nat gas I would have it go right to the stove by way of pipe through outside wall? Or a line into basement and up through floor to LR? My dad in the 60’s did that gas line to a cemented in grill…..it was was awesome. I guess for every new item the pros count the feet of line needed to get it too the appliance and charge for that install? Will learn what I can this week…thx!

Reactions: clancey
The gas will go to a meter and then into the basement where it can be routed to where its needed.

The gas will go to a meter and then into the basement where it can be routed to where its needed.
Ok thx! A propane provider locally is coming out this week to see where a smaller tank can go by the house….I have basement windows and the outdoor AC unit and need them to show me if this is even possible…… Wood blinds for my room estimate will be complete tomorrow…..now I just need to get the NG company on the phone….not easy but will keep trying to see cost of bringing it to the house…

Thx for your question……Why not? Exploring all my options…new big legislation for utility as gas & elec - price hikes all over the news, increasing prices for NG and electric - If a tank can be set logistically here close to the house for my stove use….I will learn that information and pricing for set up, buying vs renting a tank etc. Not having to rely on the NG company - with propane at hand is an interesting option. 2020 price for gas line to house was $1200 est….it could be more today. This place ……only house without NG on this street is mine….makes me curious as to why too!

Thx for your question……Why not? Exploring all my options…new big legislation for utility as gas & elec - price hikes all over the news, increasing prices for NG and electric - If a tank can be set logistically here close to the house for my stove use….I will learn that information and pricing for set up, buying vs renting a tank etc. Not having to rely on the NG company - with propane at hand is an interesting option. 2020 price for gas line to house was $1200 est….it could be more today. This place ……only house without NG on this street is mine….makes me curious as to why too!
Propane is mostly made from NG. If NG prices go up, so will propane. In our area, natural gas is a regulated utility, propane is not. The propane seller(s) can charge whatever the market will bear and deliveries can be unreliable at times.

Because propane is between 3 and 4x the cost of ng per btu.

Propane is mostly made from NG. If NG prices go up, so will propane. In our area, natural gas is a regulated utility, propane is not. The propane seller(s) can charge whatever the market will bear and deliveries can be unreliable at times.
Yes….very true! Propane can be challenging for folks….pricing, deliveries etc….. so am learning about both options….. If still reasonable to hookup to NG May go that route…..if price tripled or is exorbitant might go propane….just gathering information now….. - am on list for NG project assessment and propane person to check my lay of the land….your insight is appreciated!