Are you ready for summer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what my garden looked like a couple weeks ago. Now the snow is up to the top of the fence.

We've got a lake effect snow warning and below zero temps for most of this week.

It seems they be bringing it on.

Attachments

• wintergardeb.jpg
    wintergardeb.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 210
nshif said:
Am I ready for summer??? here is a pic from a few days ago.
Im ready to get started on the garden!

Great snow remover. MSG - that's what you need!

Eric Johnson said:
Here's what my garden looked like a couple weeks ago. Now the snow is up to the top of the fence.

We've got a lake effect snow warning and below zero temps for most of this week.

It seems they be bringing it on.

It's still a pretty nice looking scene Eric. Take heart, we cleared out some beds today. The chives are about 5" high, and leaves are starting to come out on the blueberries and raspberries. Get out your seed catalogs. We'll be pushing warm weather your way soon.

BeGreen said:
nshif said:
Am I ready for summer??? here is a pic from a few days ago.
Im ready to get started on the garden!

Great snow remover. MSG - that's what you need!

It gets the job done but a bit squirly on the slippery stuff.

I've got the seed catalogs, BG. I've got the motivation. All I need to do now is get all this snow off the greenhouse!

Attachments

• winterhouse2.jpg
    winterhouse2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 201
Eric Johnson said:
I've got the seed catalogs, BG. I've got the motivation. All I need to do now is get all this snow off the greenhouse!

Hmmm... I think I just figured out where you need to install the new boiler Eric.

It looks like someone hit the greenhouse with a whipcream gun.

Yes, I'm ready... We need to get some stuff growing and soon. Both my hives have made it through the winter so far, but this is actually a bad period for the bees as they are starting to run out of winter stores, but there is no new forage yet. This warm winter has been a bit of a problem in that regard as they consume more stores when the weather is warmer, so they are lower than usual.

At the same time, I really can't feed them as it's to cold to use a hive door feeder, and I can't open the hive up until it gets warmer....

Besides, it's getting old dragging in wood every day.

Gooserider

Not that I wouldn't prefer warm weather, I love gardening, but I am not yet tired of the wood burning angle. We have only had our stove for a little over a year, so that might be why I am not burned out yet, if I dare phrase it that way.

Someone said
I was hoping I wasn’t the only one who wouldn’t miss bringing wood in the house 3 times a day…
Someone else complained about bringing wood in every day. Maybe part of your loss of enthusiasm is lack of inside wood storage?!? If you had more, it wouldn't be such a continuous task to go out in the cold to get wood. We keep about 3 days supply inside and 4 days on the front porch, so when it is really cold and/or snowy we can avoid carrying wood much. The only thing I am really tired of is the snow. Splitting in the snow sucks because inevitably you get snow on the wood. I like to split wood all year round because it is good exercise, and if you stop you lose some of your splitting muscles. I am planning to drop my health club membership when it expires shortly, because having a wood stove is so much exercise!

Status
Not open for further replies.