Ash Cleanout intervals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
About once a week I'll clean out ashes the width of the scoop right along the front, which is probably about a quarter or a third of the stove. Then I rake whatever coals are in the back forward, which brings forward some ash to cover the firebox floor.

Just curious as to why some people clean out the entire stove versus keeping a layer of ash?

About once a week I'll clean out ashes the width of the scoop right along the front, which is probably about a quarter or a third of the stove. Then I rake whatever coals are in the back forward, which brings forward some ash to cover the firebox floor.

Just curious as to why some people clean out the entire stove versus keeping a layer of ash?
For me it has to do with space for wood versus extra ash. Sometimes that extra layer of ash can mean the difference between getting another layer of wood in the stove or not.

Reactions: mountain man 2