Ash.......is it any good for firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Once the tree is infected it can die very rapidly.They can deteriorate in a years time and often do.This deterioration damage often goes beyond the sap wood.My logging buddy will not buy trees in this condition...you can put a saw to them and the dust flies. If caught early enough the tree can be salvaged but its a fine line.They are fine for firewood. A lot of guys try to be proactive and sell before they are infected.

Also once dead the tops want to fall on your head when you go to drop them.

This looks like good info for anyone near the edge of EAB expansion (like the OP):

If you have an EAB-infested tree that you would like to use as firewood, be aware that EAB can continue to emerge from the wood for two years after cutting. To avoid spreading EAB, split and leave the wood to age near where you cut the tree for two summers. After two years of drying, EAB that may have been within the wood will have emerged or died. The aged firewood poses little risk of introducing EAB and you may move it freely within the limits of the quarantine.
Not sure if splitting it where it falls is usually that practical, but it seems to me even left unsplit the larvae will be gone after 2 years...

Last edited:
As MacinJosh said, Louisville and surrounding areas have been decimated by EAB. We have just over an acre lot in a neighborhood and have 4 that we have either taken down or will be coming down soon. The majority of the below picture is from the top of the tree that we still have a good 20+ feet of. I agree with Roundgunner about them falling on you once dead. The next victim in our yard is dropping limbs in massive numbers.

20161119_171219.jpg

20161119_171232.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

To add to my previous comment, our neighbor just had three yuuge ash trees taken down, one was unintentionally dropped on two sections of our fence...womp womp. Hell of a way to meet your new neighbor...lol

To add to my previous comment, our neighbor just had three yuuge ash trees taken down, one was unintentionally dropped on two sections of our fence...womp womp. Hell of a way to meet your new neighbor...lol

Maybe he will let you keep the wood...:)

Maybe he will let you keep the wood...:)
He did ask me if I wanted any. I want to specifically request the section that fell on the fence [emoji2] but I still have all of those rounds in the pictures above to split and am currently without a shed, so my better half would kill me if I took any...lol. I haven't got to provide her any good warmth from a stove since we moved, as we are awaiting our new install, so she just thinks I'm a hoarder with no purpose right now.

ash .... Does anyone burn this stuff? How long do I season it?

The Firewood Poem
by Celia Congreve

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,