Ash leaking at joints on Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CedarPost

Jun 26, 2020
Vermont
Hi, I have a great little Jotul 602. Very fine ash appears at the joints between the cast plates. Is this a problem? Does this mean it needs to be taken apart and re-cemented at the joints? Advice welcome.

IMG_4837.JPG

Reactions: MR. GLO
IMHO, time to reseal. Those ash leaks can allow air in places it really was not designed for.

The ash is sealing it up, somewhat. Maybe someone here can explain what the issues are with rebuilding it.

I had the same issue on my 602 after a couple years of use, except the dust on mine was and still is limited to the side corners at the rear of the stove. I posted a question about it here and replies were mostly that it didnt look like more than normal rate of deterioration of gasket cement. From the picture however, the ash on yours appears more extensive than mine along the bottom edge. Perhaps try using a lit incense stick to test along all seams for leaks while the stove is operating, the wisp of incense smoke more precisely reveals leaks than a match flame. If leaks are present but only at a spot or two, you might be able to buy some time before having to rebuild by spot sealing the leaks from the inside with cement.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer