Ash pan block off plate for Joutl Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senorFrog

Hearth Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Hi, to simplify the daily chore of cleaning the ash, I wanted to use something like this next year: http://www.theashtrap.com

However, my stove (jotul oslo) has a built in ash pan. From previous threads I recall number of you let your ash pan fill up and just scoop the ash out. I wanted something a little cleaner and considered having a local metal worker make a block off plate (with steel or maybe cast iron) to replace the cast iron grate that came with my oslo. It would be same size as the cast iron grate, but solid (I.e. no grates) to prevent ash from spilling down into the ash pan at the bottom of the stove. Then, I could scoop or use the ash trap for daily cleaning.

Any advice or thoughts re warranty appreciated.

Thanks!

Why would you want to eliminate an ashpan in a stove? I had always thought they were an advantage. What would bethe advantage of either eliminating the ashpan or letting it fill up and scooping out the ash?

senorFrog said:
Because the ash pan is a PIA to empty every day. I want to use this product instead: http://www.theashtrap.com which has been reviewed here and elsewhere (like www.woodheat.org).

Amen frog. A real PITA. My old stove had a big ashpan and after three uses it got filled in with ashes and never touched again for twenty years. Pain to take the ashes out with it and the damned door leaked air. My new stove has a plug in the bottom that you take out to drop the ashes into the pan so you can take them out. Like the old one it is messier to use the pan than to just scoop. And the hole the plug goes into was mis-made so the plug doesn't fit all the way into it and it leaks air and the plug sticks up too far. Also the thing sticking up on top of the plug for you to pick up the plug by is constantly in the way right in the middle of the front of the firebox.

That will be my second furnace cement patch on this thing this summer when I fill that damned hole with cement, toss the plug in a box in the garage and put a firebrick over the hole. Maybe bake cookies in the ashpan or bake potatoes in it next winter. Make it useful, ya know.

I wouldn't modify the stove, even though I understand the ash pan idea stinks. You'll definitely void the warranty even though its a minor modification that probably won't affect the performance of the stove at all.

I'm just saying that to make you aware, but honestly it would probably be fine if you had a fab shop make you up a replacement grate with no holes in it. It would be probably be better if you get it as a cast iron piece.

I did the same thing on our previous Oslo, under the recommendation
of another Oslo owner. I believe the ashpan/grate design prevented coaling,
and lessened combustion heat. All I did was buy a steel plate (bought at a Hdwr.
Store for a few dollars) and covered the grates. When the ash got a bit deep, all
it would take is a couple of scoups to fix things. Surprisingly, I found the ashtray
would often times cause more mess via spillage when emptying than scooping.

We now do the same on our current stove, and can go sometimes for 3 days of
continuous burning before needing to scoop out the excess ashes. We will never
go back.....

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.