Warped F500 v3 ash grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
when is your next voyage to southeastern Wisconsin?
Convenient for you I can actually go into more detail with pictures! I currently have a F600 on deck starting assembly today. Which is essentially is the same design for the f500 bottom. So this is the gasket Im talking about- IMG_2833.jpeg

When applied sloppily, and not working it fully around the corners, when you mount it, it will fold the gasket under one side or the other, instead of compressing between the pieces, creating the air tight seal for the housing. I check every single one I do as soon as I install it, and it even happens to me sometimes and I have to take it back off and reapply the gasket and remount it. So Idk if its something they are double checking on the assembly line. Here is a photo of it mounted(not tightened down yet) with a flash light from
The outside and you can see the light coming through-IMG_2836.jpeg
Here it is tightened down you see it set perfect, no light. Only light you see is the stuff from the shop lights hitting the wheels Im working on. But the seal I pointed out is perfect. And a second picture of what a perfect seal will look like with a flashlight on the inside-
IMG_2837.jpeg
IMG_2839.jpeg

And finally, if that all checks out, maybe someone forgot the proper amount of cement around the double bottom for the ash pan, to check this shine a flashlight through the big hole on the back bottom towards the ash pan and see if you see any light coming out between the cracks of the double bottom on the ash pan. This is the cement they may have slacked on-
IMG_2835.jpeg
And if it was done right, you see this awesome overflow when you tighten the whole bottom together. (The overflow stuff does break off eventually, all the important stuff is in the actual joints)
IMG_2841.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn't some guys have good results placing magnets on the 2 small air holes on the side of the ashpan housing?

Didn't some guys have good results placing magnets on the 2 small air holes on the side of the ashpan housing?
what air holes on the side of the ash housing? I would have to see a photo. But wither way, if those are designed to be there on the Cat model, then it would not be the cause of the problem. It could be a bandaid way to reduce the problems of what I stated.

Here is the thread , SEE Fire #3 in top post.

Here is the thread , SEE Fire #3 in top post.

Yea still only the holes in the diagram, no actual picture. Im curious if they are threaded holes for some type of bottom heatshield. If they are threaded I would just throw some bolts in there and call it a day. If they are not, Id refer to my checklist and check back in.

B01A1573-AA7E-452E-BBBB-D8838F4156F2.jpeg

Yes these 2 holes in the "Ash House". I've not seen a pic though.

Last edited:
The poor sealing of the ash pan gasket can happen even on a new stove. After a few months of use I ended up running our new Castine with the ashpan full of ash until it covered the grate. Ash was scooped out the ash when cleaning. The stove burned notably better and longer.

The poor sealing of the ash pan gasket can happen even on a new stove. After a few months of use I ended up running our new Castine with the ashpan full of ash until it covered the grate. Ash was scooped out the ash when cleaning. The stove burned notably better and longer.
That's interesting as i use my ashpan a couple times a week on my F400 Castine and so far have yet to have any air leak issues. Ashes go from empty to full with no noticeable difference in my case.

Yea thats what I mean, if the ash housing gasket is messed up during the original assembly, then it fails and its just a mess of air leaking in. I suspect the people building the stoves dont check and double check every single step of building the stove like I do. Simply because Im sure that have quotas when building new stoves and only a certain amount of time to do each step. And I having nothing but time to do it right the first time.

Reactions: bigealta