warped ash grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JamesGuido

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2021
Raymond, Wisconsin
has this happened to anyone else?
i owned a vermont castings from '93 to '20 without ever seeing anything like this....
my Jøtul F500v3 is only 1 year old.

ashgrateJøtulF500v3a.jpgashgrateJøtulF500v3b.jpgashgrateJøtulF500v3c.jpgashgrateJøtulF500v3d.jpgashgrateJøtulF500v3e.jpg

i do not empty the ashpan, only shovel out every now and then as needed... today i did.
after burning mixed nuts shells last night... i thought i'd clean'um out.
wild. never seen such a thing.
sent photos to the wood stove suppler/installer.
we'll see what they've got to say.

I'd check the seal on the ash pan door. It it leaks, this could easily happen, I think.

Has the burning been different lately? (More vigorous?)

Second the ashpan possible leak. I would be looking for cracks in the base.

I'd check the seal on the ash pan door. It it leaks, this could easily happen, I think.

Has the burning been different lately? (More vigorous?)
i do not open the ash pan door. and, No. (No.)
Second the ashpan possible leak. I would be looking for cracks in the base.
No cracks visible (using a magnified mirror) that i can see.
Surprised to see that on a Jotul stove, overheated for sure.
No Way I over heated this stove.
Pardon my "Not-to-be-inconsiderate" upcoming comment but: I am not a ******* rookie using a woodstove.

I'd still check the ash pan door seal. Over time, being compressed continuously,not could be that the latch needs tightening, even if you don't use it.

Pardon my "Not-to-be-inconsiderate" upcoming comment but: I am not a ******* rookie using a woodstove.
The only factor that makes such a component warp is heat, lots and lots of it.
Jotul has always been world renowned for the high quality of their cast iron, not saying they could not have a bad batch but that would be contrary to their reputation.

Reactions: stoveliker
I’m not questioning your operating process. I there have been several posts about the ash door leaking from the factory. I found a small leak in mine after 3 years. I had to put a really bright flashlight in there and latch the door (with the house dark to see it).

Awesome you don’t see any cracks.

How hot are you running this. As said air up through the ash pan can make it run hot. I wouldn't think you need a ash door gasket yet. But check it carefully. After years, I had to go up one gasket size (diameter). Play in the hinge side made this happen. Watch the ash in back of the pan. It stops the door from closing. I think we all close the door by the feel method. If you can't tell what your doing lay on the floor.

My V1 grate is different, front to back ribs. Also I think yours is upside down, Mine is the the narrow side up. Maybe mine is upside down.

Some others with this stove have reported there are two unregulated air holes in the ash pan housing and plugged them with magnets for a more controlled longer burn.
yup here is the thread

well well well.... lookie here.

well well well.... lookie here.

Obviously affected by heat as well, cast iron does not warp / bend on its own, especially when that thick ! Something is causing this to happen.

Two possible causes noted in that thread: air leak thru the ash pan (as was suggested here), and too many ashes, trapping heat.

As.you have concluded it's not the ashpan door, what about the second issue?

photos sent to dealer, "going to put this through for a warranty claim."
suggested i do a dollar bill test, told them i did, worked fine.
so, for proof, i re-did the $Bill test and sent along a copy of the video.
take a look seefer yourself.

Don't take it personally. There is a suspicion that a leaky ash pan door together with a defective catalyst can damage these stoves. This is not owner error and peculiar to early versions of the new f500v3. Folks need to be aware of the possibility of the stove overfiring itself. Does the catalyst look in good shape and properly in position?

Reactions: JamesGuido
Don't take it personally. There is a suspicion that a leaky ash pan door together with a defective catalyst can damage these stoves. This is not owner error and peculiar to early versions of the new f500v3. Folks need to be aware of the possibility of the stove overfiring itself. Does the catalyst look in good shape and properly in position?
not taking it personally.... the stove "runs" great, no pun intended... just cleaned it out, inspected everything i could/can...
and everything looks kosher.
been in touch with the distributor/dealer and they also told me what to look for as far as visible possible defects...
i did ask about the two 5mm size holes on the sides on the ashbox... said he'd get back to me on that (he did not know).

anyway, i ain't taking any comments personal, just my reply was exposing the smartass in me.
and i ain't gonna worry too much about a warped ash grate... it still functions properly.

Edit: the dealer just called back and said the replacement grate just arrived.... i'll pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good deal. Maybe it's just a bad casting or the old one was too tight, not allowing for expansion. In spring, when cleaning out ash off the cat face, make sure it is fully in position and not warping. Also, clean out all ash and wipe down the base with a damp rag. Inspect closely for any hairline cracks radiating from the corners of the grate well. Hopefully, all will be like factory and this will be the end of it.

Good deal. Maybe it's just a bad casting or the old one was too tight, not allowing for expansion. In spring, when cleaning out ash off the cat face, make sure it is fully in position and not warping. Also, clean out all ash and wipe down the base with a damp rag. Inspect closely for any hairline cracks radiating from the corners of the grate well. Hopefully, all will be like factory and this will be the end of it.
Thank you, very much appreciate your sound advice!
I copied your comments and suggestions & pasted them on another page.
I printed and will tape to my wall calendar on the month of May.
Should be thru burning by then and will have plenty of time to putz with stuff also, retiring end of April ;)
Thanks again!

Congrats on the impending retirement!
More hours by the fire (next season)!

Ours has done it two grates in a row over first two winters of use. No way are we over heating. We have both the internal thermometer and and stove top thermometer and we monitor continually. Never opened the ash door except to remove ashes. It seems there is a problem with the stove. Do we need to worry about a problem that could be dangerous?

Do you have a small 1/4" hole on both the left and right sides of the ash pan housing? if so can you post a picture?