Mixed Nuts Shells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JamesGuido

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2021
Raymond, Wisconsin
...last night as the stove (Jøtul F500v3) was humming along quite nicely at about 425º, i added an additional split and about a ½ pound of pecan, filbert and Brazil nut shells in a brown paper lunch bag.
not long after, about 15 minutes, we could smell "a fire" and the stove top temp rose to about 600º...

could it have been the shells?
perhaps oils in the shells?
coincidence?
has anyone else added mixed nuts shells to their fires? 🤔

Reactions: wenger7446
...last night as the stove (Jøtul F500v3) was humming along quite nicely at about 425º, i added an additional split and about a ½ pound of pecan, filbert and Brazil nut shells in a brown paper lunch bag.
not long after, about 15 minutes, we could smell "a fire" and the stove top temp rose to about 600º...

could it have been the shells?
perhaps oils in the shells?
coincidence?
has anyone else added mixed nuts shells to their fires? 🤔
watching this......

will you try it again? how long did you useable heat from the bag? what type of ash did you get?

If your stove or stove pipe are new or very recent it could be the paint curing and off gassing, 600° is not all that hot.

425* is still hours away from a reload in my setup. Is this a normal low temp for reload at your place? I have zero idea on how nut shells and paper bags burn in a wood stove? Never even crossed my mind! Out of wood? Is your Cat capable of eating those materials without damage? Let us know how this works out. I love eating Pecans;)

watching this......

will you try it again?
no, i will not toss in anything but dry wood.
how long did you useable heat from the bag?
i do not understand this question...
what type of ash did you get?
the black ash area (SEE PHOTO BELOW) is where the bag of shells was placed in the box... if the black ash IS the ash from the shells, i would not know for sure.
If your stove or stove pipe are new or very recent it could be the paint curing and off gassing, 600° is not all that hot.
the entire set-up was installed in late December 2020... plenty of burns before last night to blame the odor on the newness of the stove and or the stove pipes.
425* is still hours away from a reload in my setup. Is this a normal low temp for reload at your place? I have zero idea on how nut shells and paper bags burn in a wood stove? Never even crossed my mind! Out of wood? Is your Cat capable of eating those materials without damage? Let us know how this works out. I love eating Pecans;)
correct, 425º is a comfortable temp, however, i happened to be in the area so i tossed on another split knowing i would not for another two hours or so and while in the area, i also tossed on the bag of shells. And , No. Not out of wood, thank you. And, i have no idea if adding nut shells to a live fire in this box would/could damage the cat.
As mentioned above, i will NOT attempt this again.

ashfromshells011122.jpg

i was just wondering if anyone else has added mixed nuts shells to their fires?

I do. In my fire pit. Fantastic to get the fire going.

Reactions: JamesGuido