Squirrel has hidden black walnuts between firebox and outer shell of fireplace, how can I get them out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NorthStar

Nov 23, 2021
501273Ts
We've had a Heat & Glo fireplace for about 20 years. We don't burn that often, but do enjoy the fire most weeks.

Fireplace - Copy.jpg

As fall came this year, we had a noise in the house that turned out to be a squirrel coming in through the outside air intake, bringing in black walnuts for the winter. I found that the screen that should have blocked the duct had disappeared. I know we used to have one. I've put some wire mesh over the intake. It won't happen again.

Duct with nuts.jpg

I vacuumed out the black walnuts I could see in the intake vent, and it was solid nuts for 10 feet or more. Beyond where I could reach with the vacuum, I could see more.

Eventually I looked at the fireplace itself. I was able to see through some access holes at the front that there are black walnuts inside the walls of the stove, between the outer shell and the firebox. The squirrel seems to have come all the way along the fresh air intake to this "perfect spot"!

I've consulted my local dealer, and he believes the only solution is to remove the fireplace from the chase, and potentially replace it. It's not clear if the space between the walls could actually be opened up to remove the nuts without compromising the integrity of the stove.

Before I start into this rather larger project, I'm reaching out to you to see if there is any other solution you can think of.

Much appreciated,

Tony

That was a very ambitious squirrel. Short of literally disassembling the unit there isn't an easy fix. This is the second posting in 2 days for intrusion into a ZC. Intakes must have screening to prevent this. Preferably screened with a stainless steel mesh.

I fired up my wife's Moke after the winter 20 years ago. Lots of black stuff on the ground in the garage. Thought it blew out exhaust crud.

Nope. Some remarkably industrious animal ... chipmunk? ... packed the exhaust full of sunflower seeds it picked out of the bird seed on the patio and in the bird feeder.