Ash pan fans, user input needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
I'm spoiled on the ease of a grated ash-handling system, but I'm trying to find suitable alternatives, both for myself as I select a backup stove, and for my SIL who is in the market for a stove to replace her Dutchwest 2460 (grated.) Non-cats are in play..
I found the ash dump on the Buck 91 to be workable; It had a hinged flip-up lid with a large opening that was off to the left side, opening about 3.5"x5.5". I just swept everything to the left side, skimmed the coals to the right side, opened the lid and swept the ash down the dump, pretty easy. The pan could have been a little larger, but I could go three or four full burns in a 3.0 cu.ft. box before I had to pull the pan.
I am particularly interested in how the ash dump works on the various Pacific Energy stoves, since I'm seriously looking at a couple of those for my SIL's house. However, I welcome the input from users of all other stoves.
I'm not looking for any input from non-ash pan users, thanks.. :)

I love the ash pan in the Jotul Oslo . . . I find it very useful and practical (although some ash does tend to accumulate behind the pan so I make it a habit to shovel out the ash pan box before replacing the ash pan.)

That said, I know a few Oslo owners have said they do not use the ash pan.

I love the ash pan in the Jotul Oslo
That's got a grate, right? What about the seams between the cast panels...are a lot of those gaskets, or cemented?

I gave the Hearthstone pan a try, and then have ignored it for the last 9 years or so. I like the concept, but the pan seems small.

I like the Jøtul grate and ash pan solution I probably burned more than a dozen loads in my F400 (small we than the Oslo), only pushing ash away from doghouse air in an experiment to see if I liked not using the ash pan. I found that letting the ash accumulate, as opposed to stirring is down every load or two, compressed it more and that let the ash pan, which did start to fill up, hold a lot more when I cleaned it all out. I bet it was close to 4 pounds clear full.
I’m with the OP I like having ash solution. I have no fireplace tools. I poke or stir the ash with a piece of kindling then burn it. Dump the pan check that I didn’t leave a pile behind the pan, and keep burning. No dirty pokers, shovels rakes or sifters needed. I have a set I just don’t trust my kids not to pick them up and play power rangers with them in the living room;)

Yes, I believe the F400 are F500 are cemented. And they do have a centered grate.

Reactions: Woody Stover
That's got a grate, right? What about the seams between the cast panels...are a lot of those gaskets, or cemented?

Yes on the grate . . . pretty sure they are cemented, but it's only 11 years old and I have not had to rebuild it.

How big of a stove are we talking? Morso makes some great stoves with integrated ash pans. They look so sleek unlike some stoves with the diaper looking apparatus on the bottom.

How big of a stove are we talking? Morso makes some great stoves with integrated ash pans. They look so sleek unlike some stoves with the diaper looking apparatus on the bottom.
I'm aware of the Morsos but haven't checked into them much yet. Thanks for the reminder.
Oooo, gasketed seams, and grates! >> European stoves, it appears, barely over 1 cu.ft. :( SIL's place is 1400 sq.ft. with stove room vaulted ceiling. My place is 1000, but it's like heating 1500 in an average house. :oops:

My Lopi Evergreen had a very large ash pan, I chose the pedestal base. Has two decent openings with cast iron caps on either side of the fire box. I've dumped it 3 times since Halloween.

Reactions: Woody Stover