Ash Rake design and other tool questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmoelk

Hearth Supporter
Okay, well I've decided to forego the Pilgrim 2100 set and make my own tools. I am making the following tools:

Poker with 90 degree bend
Straight Poker
Ash Rake

Broom and shovel maybe... I'm not sure of the usefulness with a broom over a vacuum, and the shovel, well the cost for those little shovels is only $8 bucks, so I don't think it would be worth my time or materials to make my own. I estimate the two pokers and ash rake I'm making will cost roughly $10 bucks total.

My questions regarding the ash rake have to do with the teeth. How deep (or tall) should I make the teeth on the ash rake? My ash rake will have one side that is flat, and the other with teeth, not sure which side I will use more often as I'm a newbie.

Also, those koal keeper shovels... are they useful? I'd appreciate any comments on those. Thanks.

-Kevin

Don't mess with a broom, they are useless, stir up ash dust and catch on fire or melt. :lol:

Roospike made a neat rake a while back, check with him on teeth.

I made a rake with no teeth, on one side I made at a slight angle (about 90 degree or slightly more) so I can compress ashes flat to allow for more room and time before emptying ashes, works like a charm.

Robbie Roberson

wrenchmonster said:
Okay, well I've decided to forego the Pilgrim 2100 set and make my own tools. I am making the following tools:

Poker with 90 degree bend
Straight Poker
Ash Rake

Broom and shovel maybe... I'm not sure of the usefulness with a broom over a vacuum, and the shovel, well the cost for those little shovels is only $8 bucks, so I don't think it would be worth my time or materials to make my own. I estimate the two pokers and ash rake I'm making will cost roughly $10 bucks total.

My questions regarding the ash rake have to do with the teeth. How deep (or tall) should I make the teeth on the ash rake? My ash rake will have one side that is flat, and the other with teeth, not sure which side I will use more often as I'm a newbie.

Also, those koal keeper shovels... are they useful? I'd appreciate any comments on those. Thanks.

-Kevin
As far as the ash rake..... roospike (inc) ;-) already told you a way to do this..... if I had a woodstove I would have followed this design and made one already...... remember no welding required.
good luck

I remember GVA, but welding is not a concern. No offense to Roospike, but I didn't want a bar-b-que end on my rake, aiming for something a little more custom and/or traditional. I think Roospike designed the project for kids, and specifically for no welding.

I guess I should have stated asked that if you could have the teeth on your rake at any depth, what would that depth be? 1/8" 1/4" 5/16" 1/2" ?

Broom melting? I thought the broom is used to clean around the hearth, not in the firebox. Or am I mistaken? Flattening the ashes... never considered that.

Thanks for the comments guys.

-Kevin

Not in the fire box, but I melted the bristles on mine once when I swept the front section of my stove that could be called the log catcher.

It was much hotter than I thought............. :lol:

I have found that flattening or compacting the ashes with my rake on a daily basis greatly reduced the depth which then reduced the frequency I had to empty my ashes.

In other words, the rake "angle" made a nice firm bed of ashes for the next fire, or added logs.

This would apply more for those times when you just can't really empty ashes, just mash them flat as you can, it really does work well, and I found it even helps insulate my stove.

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.