Ash Rot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I have a lot of standing dead ash from the ash bore and I have used some of them for several projects other than just firewood. I am thinking about using some of them to make raises garden beds not I do not have any experience with how well it holds up to moisture. Has anyone used ash as fence posts or in direct contact with the ground? Will it rot to fast like maple or oak would? Will it hold up better like hickory or locust? Thanks

Ash tends to go to waste pretty quick, not as fast as birch or poplar but it will get punky within 2 years laying on the ground. If you want to make a natural garden boarder using wood try to find some locust, that stuff will not rot.

If I had any locust or osage (hedge), believe me, I would use it. I have seen though a little reading that catalpa and sassafras aren't bad alternatives. Any opinions on either of them?

I burn at least one sassafras tree each year. Some of the sweetest smelling and easiest splitting woods you’ll ever find, but not great for max BTU’s or burn time. It’s akin to soft maple or Walnut, for heating.

If I had any locust or osage (hedge), believe me, I would use it. I have seen though a little reading that catalpa and sassafras aren't bad alternatives. Any opinions on either of them?

Not sure how catalpa would hold up, but given your location, which I assume is Walhonding, we are very close to one another and there is plenty of catalpa to be had.

Cedar?

Cedar?[/QU

I cut some rounds from a 100 year old Ash tree to serve as steps through our flower beds, even coated them with linseed oil. 4 years is all we got out of them before they rotted.