Firewood in North Carolina.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ScottLewis

Nov 20, 2023
Madison County NC
This trailer sets in the parking lot of a strip mall in Marshall. It measures 5 x 8. The wood is stacked 3 feet high. The front half is red oak, no rot and freshly split, green as can be. The back half is locust, no rot and probably pretty dry, all locust around here is dead standing. This is as beautiful a load of firewood as I ever have seen, the girlfriend just said "Buy it!"

IMG_1754.JPG IMG_1756.JPG IMG_1757.JPG

If the guy is dropping trailers like that it would be worth it to talk to him about what he has.

Since the oak is freshly split obviously is is high moisture content.
You must have no experience with locust. I have cut up 6 dead standing locust and the highest moisture I got was 28 percent.

This wood pile is just 8 cu ft short of a cord. Red oak is great firewood, and there is no rot in this stack. Usually when I see wood for sale there is some rot, 15 to 20 percent rot is not unusual. Locust is the best firewood available around here, and this stack has zero rot. I have encountered locust that was half rotten, after all the locust around here has been dead standing for 20 years.
Yes, this trailer load of wood is worth $200 to me

Buy it and resplit some of it. Very large splits in there. Consider the entire load over 20% MC. Stack it and season it for two years minimum. I give my oak 3 years in the stack. 2 if split small.

Reactions: all night moe
I'd say looks like a good deal. If you need it next season you could always solar kiln it to speed dry it.

Reactions: all night moe
Since the oak is freshly split obviously is is high moisture content.
You must have no experience with locust. I have cut up 6 dead standing locust and the highest moisture I got was 28 percent.
Locust makes great fence posts and the wood is very yellow and has very coarse bark. Generally straight and tall and grows in clusters. If you cut a locust 10 will grow back from the roots. Only thing standing dead lately is ash.

How long it has to be dried can depend also whether your stove is newer or a ’classic’ and how badly you need the heat.

Reactions: johneh
How long it has to be dried can depend also whether your stove is newer or a ’classic’ and how badly you need the heat.
Sure just sweep your chimney every month like my buddy does in Maine if you want to burn green wood. He burns Ash same year cuts it. FYI he already had one chimney fire. I also like clear glass not black.

Last edited:
I went up today to buy it, but it has been sold. I am saving that guy's number because he knows good firewood. I had no plans to burn it this winter, I have enough wood for the next 2 years.
That's perfect then, Call him up and get a better deal on a bigger load.

What size trailer, and what price do you suggest. I've only been burning wood since 1983 so I don't know much about it.
I don’t much about it either since only been burning since the 70’s. We don’t buy by the trailer load here. Only by the cord. $250 would be a good price.

IDK, offer him whatever you want. How about $350 for 2 of his trailer loads.
I don't buy wood.

Seasoned cord here is 325. True kiln dried is 420.
''Semi'' seasoned is 300, and green is at 260.
I don't buy processed firewood. I've only bought logs once. I do plan on buying some logs for this coming summer. The load I bought was from a good friend and I got a great deal on it. 300 for a bunk load 18' long, 7 or 8' wide, and 10' tall. Maybe it was 12' tall ... only dimension I can accurately recall is the length. I don't think I'll get the same deal because it's quite the trip for him. If he does I'll still get a good deal, just not the same.

On my above post, It cost me more than $300. I forgot I gave him a short days worth of tree climbing for a quick 200.
For a grand total of 5, still not a bad deal.

Yeah as everyone said the prices vary wildly by location. A good price here might be a huge overpay for you. Id just hop on FB marketplace and make some calls to local tree and firewood dealers and see what their prices are. You can extrapolate off of that. Shouldn't take much more than 20-30 min to feel out local market value.

I buy log length and prices myself but If I had to buy processed wood and I had storage space plus didn't need the wood this year I'd just buy green. Its usually much cheaper and you'll know it's seasoned cause you did it yourself.

My wood man loves me. I buy years ahead and understand that it needs to be seasoned. He said that he gets calls every year from people that are angry that their wood wont burn. He also is the guy that does all my tree work around my house. I love my trees and he loves trees so we get along really good.

My wood man loves me. I buy years ahead and understand that it needs to be seasoned. He said that he gets calls every year from people that are angry that their wood wont burn. He also is the guy that does all my tree work around my house. I love my trees and he loves trees so we get along really good.
You should marry one of the trees. They will leave you alone at least! Lol