Ash Shoot under Insert in fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasher

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
NW Connecticut
In the next week or so I am going to install my insert into my fireplace. On the floor of the fireplace, I have an opening that leads to the basement for dropping ashes. On top of the opening is flip type door. I have never used the ash drop and wonder what to do about this opening when installing the insert.

The flip type door is maybe a 1/4 inch thick and sits on top of the fireplace brick floor. So if I left it as is, this small section would be higher and could create a rocking motion or put more pressure on one part of the insert bottom. If I remove the flip type door, then there would be a small opening under the stove (maybe 1 foot by 6 inches).

At this point the two options I can see are...

Option 1 - removed the flip type door and just instal the insert. Would this opening impact the insert in any way?

Option 2 - Remove the flip type door and put a piece of steel on the fireplace floor. I could see this helping with installing the insert (smooth surface to slide the insert on) and creating a complete surface to rest the insert on. But would this steel cause any issues? Or should the insert rest on the brick floor?

Filling in the hole is not an option at this time.

I did not do anything with mine...just left it there. Is it obstructing anything??

Not really obstructing anything, but the door on the ash dump hole is higher than the brick floor.

If it is not a problem with the hole being under the insert, then I will just remove the door. But I was not sure if I should put a piece of steel underneath.

took mine out, I use it as a source of combustion air from the basement instead of the living area.

My ash door was taller than the floor of the fireplace, but the floor of the fireplace was lower than the hearth. The net effect was that I had to build up the fireplace floor just a little to make it level with the hearth - the ash door thickness really didn't come into play.

One simple solution may be to put down several firebricks on the floor of the fireplace - at least one for each corner of the insert, that would raise it up slightly but probably not enough to matter.

A firebrick would be too high. I will have to check tonight, but if anything, the fireplace floor is about 1/4 inch lower than the marble hearth.

I have an outside air tube in the chimney now for the existing fireplace. But I do not think I could use it for the insert. I checked the manual and if I use legs, I might be able to hook it up but I think the insert might be too tall. In any event, I would not use the ash drop hole for air.

If you don't want to remove it, then I recommend using a 0.25 inch thick sheet of wonderboard (cement board) under the insert. Cut out a hole the size of the ash drawer, and place the wonderboard on the base of the hearth, with the hole over the ash drawer. The wonderboard will support the weight of the insert. My fireplace was 0.25 inches lower than the granite hearth, and this is what we did when I installed the insert. Click the link below to see the result.

-- Mike

Just take it out and lay it behind the insert for safe keepings.

If you are worried about air passage then just put a piece of flat steel over it, and if you are really worried then silicone it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.