Ash vac died - thinking a shop vac will do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter I was really struggling so I used an old beater canister vac I had, with HEPA bags that I scrounged from a resale. But still a big hassle and sometimes it leaked. I eventually would put the vac outside but still any stray ash that leaked would just get tracked right back into the house.

So thanks to this thread I went out and bought a small shop vac with a HEPA filter included for mine. Didn't want to deal with bags anymore, and this one has a shield to avoid direct impact to the filter. I only vacuum when cooled off and stir to check for hot spots. I'd been wanting a small shop vac for the basement anyway.

I remove and scrape the burn pot every couple days and clean the glass off, and stir the ashes over to the left side to keep clear of the pressure sensor port on the right. I vacuum it every couple weeks along with removing the covers under the side panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.