ASH VAC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
Does anyone use,or know someone who has used this vacuum? Just wondering if it does the job? Thanks!!!!!!!

ash vac.jpg

That looks exactly like the Crftsman version of the SnowJoe vac I bought on Amazon last week. I've used it twice; great so far. Some of the reviews mention it doesn't have a ton of suction, wich is true. But it's more than enough for cleaning your pellet stove. It'll pick up all the fines and ash you have in your stove. I use a brush to knock off the ask and follow closely with the vac. I'm very happy so far. No dust at all in the house.

$60 on Amzon Prime. I ordered it last Sunday AM, it was delivered Monday afternoon.

Last edited:
About 30 years ago I considered getting an ash vacuum (for about a minute) and that was the extent of that. I use a Shop Vac 15 gallon with a yellow drywall bag inside to vacuum out the stove and in 30 years or so, I've never encountered a hot one or a smoking vacuum or a smoldering bag.... nadda, zip.

For an open hearh I could maybe see onbe but for a pellet/corn stove, no. Once any stove goes through it's shutdown sequence, it's essentially out and if it isn't quite out, a quick spritz with a spray bottle filled with water will extinguish any errant embers.

I can't see the expense myself.

Way overpriced. Like last poster said Shop vac with drywall filter. Says right on the filter good for use with ash. No problems with mine yet

About 30 years ago I considered getting an ash vacuum (for about a minute) and that was the extent of that. I use a Shop Vac 15 gallon with a yellow drywall bag inside to vacuum out the stove and in 30 years or so, I've never encountered a hot one or a smoking vacuum or a smoldering bag.... nadda, zip.

For an open hearh I could maybe see onbe but for a pellet/corn stove, no. Once any stove goes through it's shutdown sequence, it's essentially out and if it isn't quite out, a quick spritz with a spray bottle filled with water will extinguish any errant embers.

I can't see the expense myself.
Ashes can stay live for days! If you will not invest in the proper vac at least store yours outside after so that if it does catch fire it will not burn your house down. This is not bs, it's fact.

I've been using a variation of Mo Heat's homemade ash vacuum. The shop vac is just set up as a wet vac with the normal foam filter. I like to fill the metal bucket with enough water that a little bit gets sucked into the shop vac just in case. The water can also get a little funky. Best to flush it down the toilet after a week or so.
IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1037.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.