ash vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
Howdy,
Anyone have a recommendation to an ash vacuum? It's doesn't have to work for hot ash.. That thought just creeps me out. I'm a bit price sensitive.
Thanks!

I have two of these that I have used for three years and like'em.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/PowerSmith-Ash-Vacuum/0000000087075

0000000087075.jpg

There are several recommendations in the gear forum. Search on Ash Vacuum there. I've used a cheap small ShopVac with a drywall dust bag for several years now. Just stay away from hot ash with it.

Haven't seen the one at Costco. The blended price for mine was hard to beat. I bought one from Fleet and Farm. Decided I wanted a spare filter for $9.99 from Home Depot so I ordered one. It came packed in a new complete vacuum. I sent emails and called Home Depot for a week telling them to send me a shipping label and I would send it back, minus my filter.

Never heard a word from them so I finally started using it.

I know there are a few vacs that claim to be ok with hot coals but it is never a good idea to do that. There has to be a filter of some sort and that will be flammable. And when you have a vac pulling air over that coal in the canister it is going to get really hot. I know I have had to stop along side the road more than once to dump out a smouldering vac when I sucked up a coal by accident.

Wish my experience matched yours, but my powersmith didn't make it through the first year. I didn't like the 'filter' that never really worked all that well. Even before a hot ember got stuck to it and burned a hole right through it, i'd turn the vacuum on and the first second or so would shoot out a plum of dust. The thing that did it in though was the motor burning up. We groom our dogs ourselves and have used many other vacs to suck up left over fur. Used the powersmith on one occasion just because it was handy. Some of the fur ended up in the motor, creating some add'l strain, so the next time we used it on the fireplace, the motor burned out.

Never was really happy with it. Sure it's 'meant' for ash, but i doubt the effectiveness of it is any better than a shopvac w/ water in the bottom. The really big problem that many people don't catch is the hose inlet. Some of the plastic is still melted to my driveway, lol. We pulled the top off and hose off, and just didn't think about the plastic inlet. Set it outside as it had a few embers in it, and it ignited the plastic. To me, that's a big design flaw and one that could get a lot of people in trouble. A metal connection with a silicone washer that connects to the hose would be a far better solution IMNSHO.

I know there are a few vacs that claim to be ok with hot coals but it is never a good idea to do that. There has to be a filter of some sort and that will be flammable. And when you have a vac pulling air over that coal in the canister it is going to get really hot. I know I have had to stop along side the road more than once to dump out a smouldering vac when I sucked up a coal by accident.

I can attest to that, lol! I was super careful w/ our shopvac today, and managed to set the bag filter and dust filter on fire. The fact of the matter is you can't always see the coals that are still hot, and I've managed to burn holes through 2-3 different vacuums. Going to give begreen's suggestion a run for the money and try the 'thumper keg' type 2 vessel system to see if that helps matters.

I have the same one> If there is any chance of a hot coal, I empty the vac, plunge the filter into a pail of water and leave it all outdoors overnight.

Last edited: